Inbox: His proving ground will come

Cheesehead

Mar 19, 2019
bfkdzwfyjnpel6moe6tk

Wade from Roseville, MN

To clarify, my recommendation in the II yesterday for a three-week preseason and 18-week regular season was to add a bye week without adding another game played per team. Meaning teams still play 16 games in the regular season. Players get more rest while the NFL gains one week of regular-season viewership revenue. Regular season of 18 weeks, 16 games played with two byes.

My apologies if I misunderstood. But the owners will never go for a reduced total number of games. Even if it’s just one preseason game every two years, that’s a sacrifice of ticket and in-stadium revenue they won’t forgo without adding a game somewhere.

Jordan from Lawrenceburg, KY

I think it is amazing to see people submitting questions from all over the world. There are Packer fans everywhere! When I read those submissions, I catch myself reading them in an accent from the respective countries. Do you do the same thing?

Sorry, I’m focused on editing, not accenting.

Dane from Franklin, WI

Just a response to Fredrick from Bluffton, SC. There's an important fifth thing that can happen on a passing play – the QB doesn't throw the ball at the defender's receiver. After all, if a CB is constantly plastering their assignment then the ball won't go their way often, and a CB can't get credit for defensing a pass that isn't thrown. Don't get me wrong, stats are great, but there are also important player contributions that don't show up on a stats sheet.

You’ve just described why film rules all. Stats can distract while film can define.

Mark from Sturgeon Bay, WI

Watching the NFL on TV, you see huddles where Ray Lewis of the Ravens or Drew Brees of the Saints firing up the team. Is there any Packer who routinely leads this huddle or one who is more demonstrative than others?

Over the past several years, Sitton and Cobb were frequent ringleaders in those instances. Daniels on occasion, too, and Rodgers here and there. Last year, Alexander stepped in a couple of times. No one is really the guy who does it all the time. A lot can depend on the mood and the moment.

Nicole from Trempealeau, WI

How safe will it be on the sideline for Coach LaFleur during games?

Sean McVay had his “get-back” coach on the Rams’ sideline. Maybe LaFleur will have a designated “road-block” coach until he’s fully mobile.

Jeremy from Lethbridge, Canada

So, I ended up spending 30 minutes tonight watching professional cornhole. What struck me most was just how difficult it seemed to be to create effective TV commentary. In your days of beat coverage, did you ever find any particular sport really difficult to write about?

Probably soccer, and I don’t mean that in the disparaging, Vic-closing-his-curtains sense. I just never learned enough about the strategy and other nuances to write about the game in a way that would connect my coverage with real fans of the sport, which at its root is what I think a sports reporter’s job entails. When it comes to sports I didn’t play, I tried to teach myself. I learned a lot about football and hockey by watching them on TV and reading about them. I learned a lot about wrestling by covering it up close. But I never progressed beyond a very rudimentary understanding of soccer on my own. It never clicked for me.

Geoff from Beaver Dam, WI

Have you had a chance to see the Timber Rattlers are becoming the Udder Tuggers June 20? There may never be a more fitting team name and logo for a minor league baseball team in Wisconsin than this. The Madison soccer team should have been half as creative. Thank you dairy farmers for making my state great.

I pity the Brewers player on a rehab assignment that night, a big-leaguer subjected to being photographed and interviewed in an Udder Tuggers jersey. I guess it’s one for the scrapbook.