Inbox: His toughness at the position takes a back seat to no one's

Cheesehead

Mar 19, 2019
olrulnhvemtf61zg7cxp

Renee from Green Bay, WI

Coach ML has said he needs to create more explosive plays. With a run-heavy offense, at least that is how I see the offense headed by what I hear, what does that mean? More long pass plays? Runs designed to have bigger gains? More gadget plays...?

Taking shots off play-action, for one. LaFleur doesn't want to run play-action just for show. He wants to have an offense that makes the defense believe those plays really are going to be running plays, and take advantage.

Daniel from Northridge, CA

I found an interesting stat: Rodgers needs only six more passing touchdowns in the playoffs to become second all-time in the postseason, with 46. Passing guys like Favre, Manning and Montana. Really hope he can accomplish that as a Packer.

Me, too. Forty TD passes in 18 playoff games is pretty darn good. I've always found it interesting his only postseason game without one was the lone NFC title game he won, when he ran for one and saved one going the other way.

Marc from Holmen, WI

Third from the end, antepenultimate. Fourth from the end, preantepenultimate. Fifth, propreantepenultimate (if used at all, mostly in phonetics). Ain't English grand?

So from now on I can say when the Packers qualified for the playoffs in the 2010 regular-season finale, it turned out to be their propreantepenultimate game that year? Awesome.

Zak from Verona, WI

Good Day II, a sports app on my phone recently ran a series ranking the top 100 uniforms across all sports. I don't usually pay much attention to such "list-icles," but this one was entertaining because the authors highlighted some absolute gems across sports throughout history. Besides the Packers' iconic and timeless kits, which are your favorite sports uniforms?

I've always been partial to the various powder blue baseball road uniforms of my youth and to the sweaters of the NHL's original six.

Matt from Irvine, CA

Can you walk us through Lane Taylor's decision to take a pay cut? Sometimes you see players take less money on future contracts to stay with their current team rather than make more in free agency, but it is rare to see a player agree to less money on their current deal.

I'd surmise he was told he'd be released if he didn't take a pay cut. Coming off a serious biceps injury, and not playing since Week 2 last year, he probably faced the prospect of nothing more than a league-minimum deal elsewhere. The Packers gave him a little more than that, plus incentives based on playing time. The team keeps a piece of solid, veteran depth, and he can earn more money if called upon and/or if he can beat out Turner at right guard. It was a sensible move for both sides.

Jeff from Brooklyn, WI

They freed up $3 million in cap space by restructuring Lane Taylors contract. Could this mean BG might be dabbling in free agency still?

The better bet is he's targeting the money to help re-sign some of his own.

Tim from Greensboro, NC

Morning Mike! Indubitably, tough decisions abound. Practically, since Day 1, Bak, Clark and Linsley have produced. You have three guys instrumental in 13-3, but have struggled staying on the field, Jones and King, or is a very important role player in Williams. If they all perform well again in 2020, I think five of them would be in for large free-agent deals. We know Gute is prioritizing Clark. Which of the others does GM Spoff try to extend? Can you reasonably keep two or three more?

I think it all depends on whether one or two extensions can be reached in the coming months as opposed to waiting until they all hit free agency. The more spread out the execution of the deals, generally the more flexibility in their structure cap-wise. That said, the uncertainty of league economics heading into this year and beyond could make it difficult for both sides to be constructing extensions now. It's really hard to say.

Margeaux from Tallahassee, FL

Being a very amateur photographer, I love Evan Siegle's photos and his descriptions of why and how he shot them. What is missing in his portfolio are pictures of our Dynamic II Duo providing us with information and inspiration also known as II. When can we expect these photos to be available or are you going to spring it on us as a surprise?

I'm not sure even Evan could make that entertaining, and that's by no means a knock on him.

Dominic from Manchester, UK

Why are people so bothered about getting the best record? In the last decade the team with the best record has only won the Super Bowl once. Get a ticket to the dance and get hot. It's not a regular-season league.

No league is anymore, really.

Dan from Leland, NC

Wes had an awesome response to Mark from Appleton regarding clichés, but he may want to tread lightly. You don't want to upset the apple cart or bite the hand that feeds you.

He even let Mark off the hook for saying if he were a writer he'd avoid clichés like the plague.

John from Yakima, WA

In your opinion, does the defenseless-player rule change cause the special teams coach to place emphasis on the fast but cleaner tackler vs. the fastest player in his selection of the "gunner'? Or does he need to select the best combination of speed and acrobat to avoid unintentional hits that trigger a "defenseless player" foul.

You still want to get down there and be in position to force a fair catch. The new rule could lead to fewer fair catches, though, so it's a matter of coaching the player to not only get there but be in a breakdown position ready to react.