Inbox: Ideally the question won’t be easy to answer

Cheesehead

Mar 19, 2019
ydybj3fuzolcxo4ulnvv

Nick from Portland, OR

I take it the punt/kick returner job is wide open...

Looks that way to me. Even though I believe Davis starts the competition first in line, I’m not sure I agree with Wes that it’s his job to lose. At least not in the same way I believe the No. 2 receiver spot is Allison’s to lose. Semantics maybe, but it feels different.

Gary from Sheboygan, WI

Insiders, I've been trying to ask this question without sounding offensive or critical, but is it realistic to expect every draft pick to make the team?

In a year with eight picks as opposed to double digits, it’s more realistic. But even in 2009, when the Packers were coming off a 6-10 season and drafted eight players, one didn’t make the 53 (Jamon Meredith).

Bruce from New Canaan, CT

We will agree to disagree on what made Micah Hyde special on punt returns. I think it was his ability to catch the ball in such a seemingly relaxed manner. He gathered in the ball like he was playing catch in the backyard.

His natural skills in that regard made him an attractive candidate for the job from the first day of rookie minicamp, but it took more than catching ability for Hyde to return three for TDs in his first two seasons.

Blaine from Fennimore, WI

What is next to look forward to this offseason?

Well, OTAs start the week after next, but if that doesn’t float your boat, training camp begins July 25. Not much else to go on right now.

Tyler from Kaukauna, WI

What are our chances to win the NFC North?

That’s a great question for around 3 p.m. on Sept. 15.

Jacob from West Allis, WI

On paper it looks like this Packers defense could be really good. What odds do you give the unit to end up in the top 10 for scoring? What about top five?

I think going from 22nd to the top 10 in one year would be a tall order, but I think top half of the league is a very achievable goal.

Jason from Austin, TX

If the NCAA started paying the players, do you think the players that are projected to be drafted in the mid-rounds would stay in college for another year? Going beyond the morals argument of paying the college players, wouldn't this be better for both leagues in the long run? Colleges would have better players staying with their schools for longer and the NFL would get a more polished player coming into the draft.

I still think the lure of NFL dollars would be too enticing for many. I had an interesting conversation with a scout around draft time about the huge number of early entries this year, and he said a lot of players are simply getting bad advice. The overriding push from agents and others is convincing players the sooner they get into the league, the sooner they get to their second contract, which is where the big money is made. It’s a short-sighted approach, and I’m not sure it’s going to change.

Jeremiah from Madison, WI

Injuries are inevitable. I hope for a 100 percent healthy roster, but chances are that by the time the season starts, at least one semi-notable player will be out for the season. QB aside, which position (right now) would hurt the most to lose a contributor?

As of right now, I’d say the most indispensable and difficult-to-replace players on the roster after Rodgers are Bakhtiari and Adams.

Darrell from San Antonio, TX

With the draft over I'm waiting to see how everything pans out this summer into the fall. I'm hoping Oren Burks takes the next step which will fix a defensive void opposite Martinez. I hope Allison takes the No. 2 receiver job and excels. The elephant in the room is the interior offensive line. Don't you agree it has to improve for this team to have a chance to win the division or make the playoffs? If Rodgers can't stay upright and healthy it doesn't matter what offense we run.

I don’t know how you can call it the elephant in the room when the Packers signed a high-priced offensive lineman in free agency with the bulk of his career starts at guard, and spent a second-round draft pick on a center who also is going to play guard. Are there still unknowns? Sure, but it’s not as though the issue wasn’t noticed and addressed.

Elliot from Minneapolis, MN

A great offensive lineman can go a long way to making a QB’s life easier. How much does a QB with Rodgers’ talent make an offensive lineman’s job easier or if so more difficult?

I think Rodgers’ penchant for extending plays makes a lineman’s job harder, on balance. With a new system, I’m anticipating a greater focus on timing and rhythm, and less living and dying by the extended play.