Inbox: It's a role he can hold down for a long time

Cheesehead

Mar 19, 2019
z71euoc5hyuiyqc3ftqd

Bill from Menominee, MI

I know this isn't going to be a popular opinion but hear me out. With the current contracts in place, the Packers are as close to all-in as they've flirted with in many years. The talent is in place to make a run. Does it make sense to add a second- to third-tier veteran QB this season? If Rodgers were to be injured, the ship would have a chance to sail. Dalton, Mariota, Rivers, Hill, and a few other names come to mind.

At what cost? If that investment is going to prevent the team from getting the receiver or inside linebacker or defensive lineman in free agency needed to improve, I'm not making the sacrifice. No one can have it all.

Kyle from Appleton, WI

Good morning. Do you have an XFL team you are rooting for, or a specific player you are following? Thanks.

Sorry, but I'll use this to declare I won't be viewing a down of the XFL, so you'll have to get your XFL questions answered by Wes. It's nothing personal, but I have to disconnect from watching the game for a while every offseason. I'll be diving into basketball and baseball now for several months so I'm recharged for football again in 2020.

Nicholas from Portland, OR

Looks like Sternberger will be the Packers' most overhyped player going into next season. Guy made one play in garbage time and he's the next KittleGronk. Congratulations Inbox, you've heaped enormous pressure on a young prospect yet again.

I've been trying to temper the talk, though I do think Jace Sternberger shows a lot of promise. The Packers spent the 75th pick in the draft on him for a reason. But your point is well-taken. Everyone thought after the Arizona OT playoff loss four years ago Jeff Janis would be the next great receiver in the pipeline, but it didn't work out that way. We just have to wait and see.

Brian from Rockaway, NJ

Mike, in regards to your comments on Canton and the way that seven members are voted in annually, what are your thoughts on Cooperstown and needing 75% of the votes? 2013 saw nobody being inducted into the Baseball Hall of Fame. What do you think the outrage would be if that system were implemented for football?

The summer Hall of Fame Game is built around the annual induction ceremonies, so they make sure there's an induction to go with the game (though not always the other way around … rimshot). You technically need 80% for Canton in the final vote, from a much smaller panel of 50 rather than around 400 in baseball, but they eliminated that last requirement this year as they pared the finalists down so they'd have a full modern-era class of five to add to the special centennial group of 15 to make an even 20 for 2020. As I said yesterday, it's about what's good for business, so I don't get too worked up about it. I have my issues with baseball's voting system, too, but those have more to do with individuals who have their own rules about not voting players in on the first ballot, which is asinine. One voter didn't vote for Derek Jeter, three didn't vote for Ken Griffey Jr., five for Tom Seaver, six for Nolan Ryan, eight for Cal Ripken Jr., nine for Hank Aaron, and the list goes on. Mariano Rivera is the only unanimous Hall of Famer in Cooperstown, and it took until last year for it to happen. That's absurd.

Nikhil from Washington, DC

Hello II, when might we be able to watch a football game in all-22 or from the Skycam? I'd rather watch a play develop ahead of me instead of only watching the line to see if the quarterback will get sacked. I feel like you miss too much of what's happening when you can't see the routes develop on a passing play, or see a defender coming out of the secondary to make a tackle on a run up the middle that gets to the second or third level.

I think eventually those options will be available to viewers on a regular basis (they are now occasionally in college football), but I'm not sure when. If the simulcasts can be coordinated so everyone gets the same replays, but perhaps their live-action view is different, then it might really catch on. But I don't know when the networks will reach that level of capability, or if they're interested in doing so.

Gary from Davenport, IA

The recent question about the '96 Packers made me think about how underrated that team was. They are one of only two teams since the merger to lead the league in most points scored and fewest points allowed. The other team was the '72 Dolphins. Wouldn't you say that's pretty good company?

Certainly, and I think the '96 Packers would be more revered in football history if the '97 Packers had completed the back-to-back.