Inbox: It's all part of the learning process

Cheesehead

Mar 19, 2019
v1cepht0mofwhhtfkong

DT from Bozeman, MT

Devin Funchess: You dance with the 11 you've got, etc. Have you seen a better response to the Rodgers question than Devin's?

That whole Zoom call was great. I heard many good things from various reporters around the league about Funchess when the Packers signed him last year but I was blown away by his news conference. He has a quiet intensity about him and he doesn't give cliché replies. I thoroughly enjoyed it.

Bret from Hertel, WI

Dear Mike and Wes, some players are locks to make the team based on draft value, contract cost, or depth…which players have the most to gain during the minicamp and full training camp coming up the end of July?

The unheralded. While jobs ultimately are won in training camp, the offseason program is where guys like Jayrone Elliott and Tim Boyle started to impress as undrafted rookies.

Bryan from Madison, WI

What is the biggest criticism of JK Scott's game?

Just consistency. The guy has it all, man. Scott looks exactly how an elite punter should look. It's just carrying over the strong starts he's had throughout his NFL career through December and January.

Derek from Eau Claire, WI

In order for JK to be the most improved player, he needs to play his best football in December, January and February. What can he work on during a 92-degree melted tundra that will prepare him for 22-degree frozen tundra?

I think that's where Mo Drayton and his staff come in. They have to work with Scott and figure out the right formula to get the most of him over a span of six months. A fast start is only as good as a strong finish in a marathon.

Margeaux from Tallahassee, FL

Everyone needs a friend like Davante Adams. In his interview his insight and thoughtfulness were on full display. I was very impressed with his comment on Jordan Love's growth after viewing only one practice. What a great response and a perfect example of the leadership without bravado that he displays.

Davante has been a dream to cover as a reporter. There's a reason he's one of only two Packers players who have won the PFWA Stand-Up Guy award on two occasions. He's real and he just gets it. Adams also has a gift of knowing how to communicate and express how he feels in a productive fashion, especially in times of adversity.

Grant from Grand Forks, ND

Don't let Bakhtiari fool you. Making that first complete cycle on a bike is one of the most difficult "little things" I have ever done. Good thing the therapist had a sadistic streak otherwise we would never get back to where we were.

As someone who has never torn or broken anything before, I can't even imagine. The thing Bakhtiari said that resonated with me the most was how injuries happen and then everyone moves on…except the person who got injured. His or her life changes drastically and it can be humbling. As I've continued to say about Bakhtiari and Josiah Deguara, there's so much blood, sweat and tears that have led to both guys making it as far as they have over the past 6-9 months. You can't help but respect that.

Bret from Hertel, WI

It takes a lot of support coming back from a major injury and David Bakhtiari discussed it. What player came back from a major injury during your time with the Packers that impressed you the most because of severity of it?

Bret gets a second question because I liked both (way to go, Bret). Demetri Goodson is a name that doesn't get mentioned nearly enough whenever this question comes up. He suffered one of the nastiest injuries I've ever witnessed against Washington back in 2016. I know he never played in another regular-season game but Meech returning to the field during the 2018 preseason was awe-inspiring.