Inbox: It's always a tough battle

Cheesehead

Mar 19, 2019
rjxrwavh8anyihwsgti7

Jim from McLean, VA

To add on to Mike's response to Wes from South St. Paul, it seems to me that all Rodgers needs to do is treat Jordan Love with the same class and leadership he has treated all backup QBs his entire career. No more, no less.

As long as Love checks his ego at the door and works hard – which those close to him absolutely do not expect either to be an issue – all you can ask is Rodgers shows the guy the ropes the same way he did with Tim Boyle, Scott Tolzien and the rest of the young QBs who have come through Green Bay over the past decade. Again, I think outsiders are making a much bigger deal out of this than what it will be this fall. Also, Wes from St. Paul came out of nowhere to be an early candidate for Inbox submitter of the year.

Tim from Sioux Lookout, Ontario

There's no doubt in my mind Equanimeous St. Brown will be the breakout player for the Packers this year. Who would be your choice?

I have no idea where Sioux Lookout is in Ontario but I need to get there someday. What a cool name. I'm sticking with Jace Sternberger. I think he opens some eyes next year.

Jake from Lake Mills, WI

Longtime, first-time with more of a comment than question. As a HS football coach, our schemes are constantly evolving from season to season as different coaches come and go and to meet the needs of current players, as well. Terminology evolves, too. I'm guessing this is also true at the pro level, if not more so. For this reason, I'm not sure if Christian Kirksey's re-submission into Pettine's D will be as seamless as everyone is assuming. I'm still excited to see this evolution of the Packers D, though!

Thanks for jumping in. The water's fine. You're right it has been a minute but Tramon Williams and Ibraheim Campbell floated seamlessly back into Pettine's scheme. That's the transitive property I'm using to forecast how Kirksey will fare. But you're right in that we won't know definitively until we see it.

Eric from Honolulu, HI

Which undrafted rookie has the best chance to get onto the 53-man roster?

Spoff is going to have a story soon on Montreal safety Marc-Antoine Dequoy. He's an older prospect (25) but is 6-foot-3, has been clocked in the 4.3s, and there is plenty of room for a rookie to win a job in the Packers' secondary this year.

Ryan from Sturgeon Bay, WI

Why did the defense go from being one of the league's best in 2010 to dead last in 2011?

Nick Collins' career-ending injury, and Tramon Williams and Charles Woodson both being banged up didn't help matters. The defense was kind of feast-or-famine – either getting a big takeaway or giving up a big play. The Packers' offense was so explosive a lot of teams had to go pass-heavy to keep up with Green Bay.

Joshua from Houston, TX

Wait, the league doesn't share contingency plans with the writers of team websites?

Strange but true.

Ray from Hawthorn Woods, IL

Hi II! Thanks for helping me cope with all of this craziness. What do you think the league's position would be if they start the season with no fans, then subsequently begin allowing fans at the games? Wouldn't the Vikings scream bloody murder if they hosted the Packers in Game 1 with no fans, but in the game at Lambeau on Nov. 1 the Packers would have their stadium packed?

You want the playing field to be as even as possible, but there are so many variables in play right now nobody can control. For that reason, I'm not really thinking about the comparative advantage of having fans or no fans at a division game. The focus needs to be on doing whatever it takes for these 32 teams to safely play football in 2020.

Alex from Skokie, IL

Looking at the Packers' schedule (if NCAA and NFL schedules take place with no delays), it's hard to believe the Packers couldn't get an away game the weekend of Oct. 3. I want to give a preemptive shout-out to the Packers employees who will keep the field in good playing conditions for MNF following a Badgers game two days prior at Lambeau.

That was the most shocking thing to me about this year's schedule. I didn't think it was a huge ask but the NFL felt otherwise. That not only will tax the field but also takes away an extra weekend of income from the area – profits that could be critical for area businesses depending on what happens over these next five months.

Dave from Germantown, TN

Did I miss an announcement by the Packers hiring a wide receivers coach? The announcement on Ruvell Martin led me to believe he was an intern who would be under a seasoned coach. Or is he the actual wide receivers coach?

The Packers promoted offensive assistant Jason Vrable. He's been an assistant in the NFL for almost a decade now and worked with the receivers last year. So it's not like it's too seismic of a change.

Andy from Verona, WI

Aside from a loved one's house or your favorite restaurant, where is the first place you want to go once the quarantine is lifted?

A baseball game.

Bob from Fort Atkinson, WI

In a follow up to Jarrod's question yesterday, why don't the Packers help the situation by changing the 2-5 Gold Package to 3-6 or something similar as the schedule dictates?

That's a question for the Insider Box Office. I have no idea how that's determined.

Mike from Mount Prospect, IL

Gentlemen, do you know what's better than surviving the fine-particle filters of Mike and Wes to have a question answered by II gurus? Answer: It's having a question answered AND getting referenced in a follow-up by another II reader (Matt from Fort Worth)! In hockey it's a hat trick, and in baseball it's hitting for the cycle. I'd call it a double dip, but the Seinfeld fans would label me a scofflaw. I'm off to buy a lottery ticket.

That's how you know you've arrived in Inbox.