Inbox: It's decided but doesn't do this one justice

Cheesehead

Mar 19, 2019
kjzbob3dtchlucfqrfcs

Davy from Watertown, WI

Nadal wins his 13th French Open, tying Federer's 20 majors. LeBron wins his fourth title (across three teams no less) and the Lakers are tied with the Celtics for most NBA titles. What a day, not even talking football. (Where the Browns are 4-1 for the first time since Belichick.)

So let's talk some football then.

Garrett from Knoxville, TN

Name one player who has exceeded your expectations so far this year. Which team are you most surprised with through five games?

Robert Tonyan. Wes was more sure of his emergence than I was. Aaron Rodgers told us after last week's game how much Tonyan was still hurting, and wasn't really himself, when he returned from his injury last season. That provides meaningful perspective. Surprise teams? The Bears and 49ers. If you had told me their records at this point would be 4-1 and 2-3, I would have assigned them to the wrong clubs.**

Bob from New Britain, CT

Wow, did you see how the Dolphins manhandled the 49ers? It was San Francisco's third loss already this young season (each time at home). I thought our upcoming game against them would be our toughest challenge of the season... now I'm not so sure. From your perspective, are they just not the team they were last season?

The injury to Garoppolo hasn't helped, but no, they haven't looked the same. Super Bowl-losing hangovers can be real. They wouldn't be the first. But it's still early. Maybe this is their wake-up call. That team has a lot of talent and a dynamite coaching staff.

Eddie from La Crosse, WI

Is it safe to say that Patrick Mahomes, as great as he is, can't be expected to play defense, too? Too often, an elite quarterback's kryptonite is his own defense.

An elite QB gives any team an edge, but it is and always will be a team game.

Brian from Adel, IA

Hopefully you don't have to deal with too many lamenting Travis Fulgham questions, but I have a feeling you will. Condolences.

Hey, hats off to Fulgham. He kept fighting to prove himself despite getting tossed aside by two teams. The right opportunity has to come along for any player in his shoes. In this case, the Eagles' desperation at an injury-depleted position created an opportunity he has seized. That's what it's all about.

Dave from Gainesville, VA

Congratulations Alex Smith! Absolutely amazing comeback.

Phenomenal. I was 13 years old when Joe Theismann's leg was shattered in similar fashion, and I remember the play vividly. He never played again. For Smith to come back from not only the injury but the various post-op infections that nearly cost him his limb and/or life is one of the greatest individual recoveries in sports. Comeback Player of the Year award? It's decided but doesn't do this one justice.

Jeff from New Berlin, WI

What is Aaron Rodgers current no-INT streak at? He is currently at 139 attempts this season. When was his last INT last season?

Tempting fate, I see. Rodgers threw two picks in the NFC title game at San Francisco last January. But officially those streaks are regular-season only, so in that vein his last interception came late in the fourth quarter at Detroit in Week 17 last year. He then had three passes on the game-winning drive, so it's 142. He's had five separate streaks in his career of 200-plus, so we're not talking about one of his longer ones, yet.

Jim from McLean, VA

I, along with Mike, would've loved to see someone screaming at Brady after his gaffe. Speaking of screaming, have you noticed some of the NFL's angrier coaches actually pulling their masks down in order to scream in a ref's face? I'm astounded at the lack of respect and think they should be ejected for this. No fine would be enough.

The league announced last week that very action would now be subject to a 15-yard unsportsmanlike conduct penalty.

Dennis from Parrish, FL

Come January will seventh-round pick Vernon Scott have played the most snaps of any rookie draft pick? Will Krys Barnes play the most snaps of any rookie?

Way too early to tell. Lotta season left.