Inbox: It's not just what Davante Adams does on the field...

Cheesehead

Mar 19, 2019
hn0abswy989z4yecfpre

Celia from Cudahy, WI

If Kamal Martin, Krys Barnes, and Christian Kirksey are all healthy and active this weekend, is there any chance Kirksey doesn't get the start?

The only thing better than hypothetical questions are hypothetical questions with a hypothetical premise. I don't know, Celia. Wednesday was Kirksey's first practice back. The Packers have 21 days to activate him back to the 53. Martin, for example, practiced for two weeks before returning to face the Texans.

Gary from Sheboygan, WI

Guys, the practice squad used to be a place to develop or hide young inexperienced players for future use on the team. With the ability to bring up a player or two situationally each week, are we seeing more experienced players on the practice squad to take advantage of the new rules?

Somewhat. At least 10 of a team's 16 practice-squad players must be rookies or first-year players who haven't been on an NFL active roster for more than nine games in a season. Four more can be veteran exemptions with no more than two accrued seasons. This year, two others also can have unlimited experience. Billy Winn falls into the last category. The Packers kept him on the practice squad for a month, allowing him to catch up on the playbook, before being signed to the 53 last weekend. As I've said before, I hope that provision is here to stay.

Gavin from Salt Lake, City, UT

Are a QB's progressions set in stone for a given play or is it more fluid than that depending on opponent and game situation?

There's always a first read (and a hot read) built into plays but pre-snap adjustments can affect that. Unless it's like a free play, I think most QBs know where their eyes are going once the ball is snapped.

Matt from London, UK

Like many others, I've been impressed with Montravius Adams this season. When he was drafted in 2017, I remember seeing a quote from a scout that went something like this: "If he's coachable, he could be a Pro Bowler in three years. If he's not coachable, he could be out of the league in three years." Well, three years later, he seems to be somewhere in between but moving in the right direction. How much more upside do you think he has if he continues to improve his technique?

Adams is such an interesting case study because he is in his fourth season but still only 25. And he's definitely coachable. He ranks among the most affable and easiest-going players I've covered. Like I said before, I truly believe it's as simple as Adams staying on the field. Because when he plays, Adams improves.

Paul from Saint Paul, MN

The next two opponents are very good at running the ball. I noticed that all the defensive linemen against Houston doing a good job defending the run. Was the rotation of D-linemen the same in the Houston game than other games this season?

I would argue defensive line is probably the most improved position on either side of the ball for the Packers over the first two months of the season. Getting Kenny Clark back is a big part of that, but Kingsley Keke and Adams both stepped up in his absence. With Tyler Lancaster back at practice Wednesday, I like how that rotation is shaping up.

Mike from Algoma, WI

While I, too, would like to see more from the receivers not No. 17, I thought Equanimeous St. Brown made an impact on special teams (…which is nice).

St. Brown showed a lot of effort as a gunner. That's a promising step. Like Montravius Adams, I want to see him stay healthy, practicing and putting one foot in front of the other.

Charlie from Waukesha, WI

Speaking of great offense. The following popped up in my Facebook memories: "Packers-Vikings Oct. 27, 2013. Wow." "The Packers didn't commit a turnover, they didn't punt and they converted 13-of-18 third-down opportunities. Of the five "failures," they went on to convert on fourth down twice. On the other three, they kicked field goals. Indeed, the Packers scored on their first seven possessions. On their eighth, quarterback Aaron Rodgers kneeled twice to end the game."

The Packers controlled the ball for more than 40 minutes in that game and finished with nearly 500 total yards. The October game against the Vikings that always springs to mind for me is from 2014, though. The Packers were up 42-0 after three quarters and I already was working on my game story for the Press-Gazette. Sheer dominance.