Inbox: It's not where you start…

Cheesehead

Mar 19, 2019
nschy3yjgqc1c1u0eyru

Craig from Cortland, NY

Hey, Wes! There have been several recent references in II to "short arms" being an important measurable for tackles. Wasn't that the knock on Bryan Bulaga? If so, how did he so capably compensate for that perceived shortcoming? Or has the position changed since he was a first-round pick? He was a great Packer!

It starts with great fundamentals and footwork, but Bulaga also was such an incredibly gifted and powerful athlete. Once he got his hands on a rusher, Bulaga was lights-out.

Pete from Stoke, UK

When talking about scouts last week, Marriott points were mentioned. What are they?

That's a play off an old Ted Thompson joke referring to all the free nights/trips scouts accrue throughout the year while on recruiting visits.

Scott from Wausau, WI

I'm feeling a bigger need at DT than CB in the draft this year, but obviously both are needed. Levi Onwuzurike reminds me of a young Kenny Clark. A little leaner body with room to add some beef. At 29, a first-year rotational guy with great upside seems a no brainer.

That's been the way for defensive linemen in Green Bay. Clark and Mike Daniels were rotational guys, too, before they were Pro Bowlers.

Joe from Swansea, IL

I'd love your thoughts on this: How much energy and time do the Packers spend in the draft room (and before) on what other teams' needs and tendencies are? Do they have any real idea what other players might be chosen by teams, particularly those teams drafting just in front of them? It's a poker game, sure, but how much effort do teams devote to knowing what's in the other hands around the table?

The Packers will run "mock" drafts with their scouts for the NFC North and the rest of the NFL. I think it was Ted Thompson who said years ago that's a pretty common practice. You can't predict everything that's going to happen on Day 1 but proper preparation will ready a team for most of it.

Rich from De Pere, WI

What are your thoughts on "quality" vs. "quantity" when it comes to the draft? For someone so close to the Super Bowl as the Packers, would it not make sense to use multiple 4-5-6 round picks to trade up to the second or third round to get players higher on your board? Maybe we get four or five players capable of making immediate impact as opposed to 10 players, many of which will not make the grade?

That's kind of been John Schneider's school of thought in Seattle. He's never met a draft pick he isn't willing to trade. Gutekunst was asked a version of this question on Monday. It's a little bit of both. I think we've all seen Gutekunst isn't shy about doing what needs to be done to get a player the Packers covet, but sometimes there is something to be said for sitting back and letting the board come to you.

George from North Mankato, MN

Can you explain why people are so worked up about when in the draft the Packers add a WR? Hasn't the team's success with the receiving corps and the addition of Devin Funchess shown that they value having quality options for No. 12? Can you ask Big Dog if first-round picks catch the ball differently than those taken in other rounds?

Neither Ted Thompson nor Ron Wolf drafted a receiver in the first round. And yet, the Packers built some pretty prolific offenses around Aaron Rodgers and Brett Favre. Unbelievable.

Doug from Neenah, WI

Good morning. Has there been any official update on the restricted free agent status of Robert Tonyan? Seems like the deadline has passed. Thanks.

There hasn't, but with the changes to Phase 1 of the offseason program, it's possible that deadline got pushed back to whenever players are scheduled to report. This doesn't change anything. I have full confidence Tonyan will be back.

Tom from Charlotte, NC

Tom Brady doesn't like the NFL's number change rule. He says we'll see some bad football and linemen won't know which defenders to block. You don't have player access yet, but what are your thoughts as to how Packers linemen or our QB view this? I sure hope they are asked this question when there is media availability.

Maybe I haven't consulted enough players on this, but so far, the only people I've heard that have a strong opinion about this are fans, Tom Brady and Bill Belichick. Am I missing something?