Inbox: It's part of the natural progression

Cheesehead

Mar 19, 2019
rfw7qtxecl4mplzwxzie

Jim from Thousand Oaks, CA

Is it September yet?

Only when you find the missing oak.

Richard from Madison, WI

The question about why Packer helmets aren't gold (like the 49ers, Notre Dame, and Navy) made me reflect on a memorable Pro Bowl. As you know, the NFC and AFC each have either blue or red jersey colors, but each player wears the helmet of his own regular team. And when the starting QB for the NFC was flinging it down the field to his starting receivers (Lofton, Jefferson, and Coffman), those yellow helmets shone out like spotlights among all the duller blues and grays. So yay for the yellow!

It's distinct no matter what color you call it.

Jonathan from Ironwood, MI

With the Packers not having any fans for at least the first two home games, how does this affect the sold-out streak from 1957 or does it even count? Also, do you still see fans tailgating even if they cannot be in the stadium?

If a sellout is defined as selling all available tickets, the streak remains intact, right? The organization announced the parking lots will be closed for games where no fans are allowed.

Dave from Germantown, TN

I am not sure if all of the players live in Green Bay or Brown County but could the city/county help the Packers avoid the virus? The county goes on lockdown, no bars open, everyone has a stay at home order and has to mask up if they leave their home (grocery shopping, etc.) It could give the Packers a competitive advantage since it is doubtful any of the "big" cities of the other NFL teams could duplicate a lockdown like Green Bay.

You clearly haven't followed the news in Wisconsin over the past five months and how significant portions of the population feel about government orders.

Steve from Phoenix, AZ

The decision to opt out (or play) must be a complicated one for the players on many levels. I assume a guy like Devin Funchess, newly signed, would have to consider that it's a total crapshoot as to whether he plays for the Packers next year. His signing was one of fit and circumstance. Marquez Valdes-Scantling and/or Equanimeous St. Brown among others may have a great year, the Packers could sign another free agent and who knows about next year's draft. The chances that he's a good fit next year seem to be a coin flip.

That's fair to say, and Brad from Coon Rapids, MN, chimed in with a similar post. A lot changes with any NFL team over the course of a year.

Chuck from Santa Ana, CA

Just wanted to be sure Spoff caught that Mike Trout's new baby boy was named Beckham Aaron Trout...the initials were a hit with me.

A "hit," huh? Really?

Ryan from Kaukauna, WI

I regularly see Jermichael Finley brought up as a fond memory of what having a stud tight end looked like, but my recollection is that he was not as popular when he was actually on the team. Am I not remembering that correctly, or did fans not appreciate what they had at the time?

Finley struggled with dropped passes at times in his career, which understandably frustrated fans. Statistically, his yardage totals of 676 in 2009, 767 in '11, and 667 in '12 rank as three of the four highest by a Packers tight end since Paul Coffman had 814 in 1983. The other in the top four since Coffman is Mark Chmura's 679 in '95.