Inbox: It's sad to see it end

Cheesehead

Mar 19, 2019
brlm2knxzvpeh9y9tkpu

Steve from Plainfield, WI

So do we get the 29th or 30th pick in the draft?

The Packers will pick 30th because their regular-season record was better than Tennessee's.

Mackenzie from Fort Worth, TX

We get a shot at them next year, right?

Yes, out west again. As a couple of readers have mentioned, if the 49ers win the Super Bowl, and the league wants the champ to kick off the season again, it's not out of the question the Packers will be out there in Week 1.

Annie from Cincinnati, OH

I do have one question – why do we play the 49ers in California again next year? Isn't it their turn to come to Lambeau since we played there this regular season? I strongly dislike going to the West Coast.

It certainly wasn't the Packers' friend this season. It's how the rotation works with what I call the "placeholder" games, in two-year cycles. In 2019 and 2020, the NFC West was/is hosting the North teams that finished in the same place in the standings the previous year. The Packers and 49ers both placed third last year, and this year's game was out there. Now they both finished first, and it's back out there again in 2020. The Vikings will play at Seattle a second straight year, too, and the Bears will play at LA again as well. After the two divisions play one another top to bottom in 2021 (when the Packers will travel to San Francisco yet again, because the Niners played at Lambeau in 2018 when the full divisions were matched up), then the NFC North will host the West in the placeholder games in 2022-23.

Travis from Bremerton, WA

Great season, guys. I was really excited to see Jace Sternberger catch a TD pass. I've been waiting all season to see him in action. Hope he gets a lot more in Year 2!

I anticipate him getting plenty of opportunities. He's a young player whose improvement will mean a lot to the offense in 2020.

Braden from Aurora, CO

Is the future bright or did we miss an opportunity with a healthy team?

Again, both. There's reason to feel good about where this team is headed, but health-wise you couldn't ask for a better run. Caught some breaks as far as the health of certain opponents, too. Years like that are rare. What I will say from a health perspective is Gutekunst has built each of his two rosters as GM with more experience in backup positions, which helps prevent health hardships from becoming too disruptive. I expect he'll continue that approach as best he can, cap-wise.

JT from Whitewater, WI

This season surpassed my expectations after the team won its seventh game. Everything after that was frosting on the cake. That said, next year comes with higher expectations. I'm looking forward to seeing how Gute addresses the run defense, an aging right tackle, a complementary receiver to 17, and the next tight ends who can block and stretch the middle of the field, just to name a few. I mean, how hard can it be, right?

There's a lot of work to do, and we have many months to discuss that. I do think the expectations issue will be the biggest difference. The challenge for the players will be to stay as close together and as loose when there are more external pressures starting in Week 1.

John from New York, NY

II, as much as I try to look on the bright side of this season with a 14-4 record all the way to NFC Championship, I still feel sad it has come to an end. I do believe we are close and a few pieces away from bringing Lombardi home in the next couple of years. Rodgers deserves one more ring. Thanks for all your insight and entertainment you provided us this season. We will be back!

I think so, too, but yeah, this was a really fun team to cover and it's sad to see it end. So many close games and dramatic moments that galvanized the team and kept it believing. They needed to summon their best game on Sunday, but they never really did all season long. That's what makes it so remarkable to me they got as far as they did.

Bradley from Charlotte, NC

Disappointed obviously, but this season was certainly a ride as it alternated between frustrating and incredible. What will you remember most from this season 10 years from now?

All the clutch plays made late in games on both sides of the ball. That's what defined this team and this season.

Lucas from Morgantown, WV

As much as that loss broke my heart, the sense of hope is undeniable and truly unfathomable. Aaron is not quitting on this team and neither should we. The leadership is in place. Mark this day. We won't play another half of football like that for a long time. Without question, there is always hope. Thank you for one hell of a season, guys.

Back at you. Happy Monday.

HAVE A QUESTION?