Inbox: It's up to everyone to make the most of it

Cheesehead

Mar 19, 2019
jvijhcsrovflbbtundzh

Bill from Des Moines, IA

Coaches, players and writers talk about what a new player will add to "the room" for a given position. But what is "the room" actually like, physically? Like your high school homeroom? A small college lecture hall? A business conference room? How about something to help us visualize it? Pick a position and describe "the room" they're in?

Small college lecture hall – a few rows of theater seating with a computer and small desk for the coach in front. There's a whiteboard and a drop-down video screen.

Michael from Granite City, IL

It seems that several QBs for other teams are working out on their own with their receivers. This seems like a competitive edge issue. Has Aaron Rodgers been doing that with his receivers? Or does he have any plans to do that?

Rodgers said he's been throwing to pros in the LA area to prepare but didn't name names. As I've always said, I feel like throwing routes on air to teammates without coaches present is more for social media than anything else.

Tom from West Palm Beach, FL

Relative to other positions, do you think running backs have an "earning" issue, given their massive impact on games and the beatings their bodies take? If so, how would you fix it?

Yes. It's something the NFL and the NFLPA need to look into at some point. Obviously, the new collective bargaining agreement takes us through the 2020s, but it's becoming increasingly more difficult for running backs to earn a big contract – and continue to get paid on that contract. It can be done but it's more the exception than the rule right now.

Mark from Bettendorf, IA

Are they getting close to announcing the new helmets with Covid-19 "breathable" masks?

That's reportedly what they're working on.

Joshua from Houston, TX

It is strange seeing the Packers' defensive backs as a source of strength after years of weakness since Charles Woodson left.

I wouldn't call it strange. I felt like the secondary has been a strength for the defense several times over the last decade.

James from De Pere, WI

Hello II and thanks for all that you do. I'm just wondering about how coaching duties are delegated. Is there a specific coach who scouts other team's offensive plays that work well to incorporate into our playbook, or is that done by the HC and/or offensive coordinator?

It's a team effort. Every coach has a specialty. For example, Ben Sirmans might be in charge of the red-zone plays or third downs. They'll work independently to put together their plans, but the team's offensive quality control coaches and assistants also scan the league to find trends. At the end of the day, it's up to Matt LaFleur, Nathaniel Hackett, Mike Pettine and Shawn Mennenga to make the final decisions on what goes on the call sheet each week.

Dana from Eau Claire, WI

Who do you guys see winning the starting QB job for the Bears? Bring back Jay Cutler!

Nick Foles. I don't know if time is on the side of Ryan Pace and Matt Nagy right now. They can't wait on Mitchell Trubisky's development any longer. They need to win now.

Tucker from Belton, TX

What's really frustrating about all of the backlash to the Rooney Rule and other advancements is when people say, "Why don't we just let the best coach get the job, regardless of color?" How do people not realize that's precisely the reason for the rule? Coaches of color historically are not being given an equal opportunity to land a job they are equally qualified for.

Precisely. How Eric Bienemy is not an NFL head coach at this exact moment is beyond my comprehension.

Geoff from Omaha, NE

Which NFL quarterbacks, if any, could throw a Hail Mary from the 25-yard line? I'm guessing Rodgers, Mahomes, and maybe a couple others. Seems like it would be an extreme advantage in the event the league went to the fourth-and-15 rule.

That would need to be one hell of a throw to make it from the 25 to the end zone. As I wrote Tuesday, I think lateral plays would become more prevalent than fourth-and-15 Hail Marys.

David from San Antonio, TX

Am I the only one who finds this onside kick concept bizarre? Face it, the old rule was a loophole and it was interesting to be sure until safety issues were spotlighted. But why on earth are we trying to reward a team that is losing? It would be like letting an NBA team shoot a half-court shot as a bonus. Or giving the home team in baseball a fourth out in the ninth. Win by merit, not by gimmick.

I'm all for drama and competition but the team that's winning is winning for a reason. We have enough NFL games that come down to the wire every week. I don't see reason to synthesize more. Each team has 60 minutes to prove its point.