Inbox: It doesn't mean they're slighted by the teams

Cheesehead

Mar 19, 2019
kyydcsdy5annyojal8ux

Josh from Oshkosh, WI

Gutekunst was recently asked about drafting quarterbacks. At this time for the organization drafting a QB and the future of QB1 are not related, which I think is obvious. But I was wondering if you could explain why it's always good to be developing QBs, other than for the obvious role of having someone step in if 12 gets injured? What are the other benefits to continuously develop quarterbacks?

QBs who can play are prized assets in this league, because there are always teams that don't have one, or are looking for a better one. They can get you something in return. Also, I wanted to mention the other day in the QB discussion when all those headlines popped up about Gutekunst not "ruling out" taking a QB at 30 … I'm not saying Gutekunst isn't being genuine in discussing the value of QBs and how he views the position, but he's also never going to publicly "rule out" taking a player at the game's most important spot because if a really good one is there, he damages his trade leverage if he's told the world in advance he's not interested. Whether or not he actually likes a top QB who's available when he's on the clock, if all options are on the table he's in the best possible position to see what he can get for that pick.

Adam from Chilton, WI

With all the talk about extending the season an extra game and also adding more playoff teams, why is there not talk about larger rosters? I would think that it would be a plus all around, more players available would keep players fresher and allow teams to stash more players to develop.

More roster spots are on the table with the proposal for the 17-game regular season, but I'm not sure on the specific details. Stay tuned.

Dean from Leavenworth, IN

I'm on board for all the changes I've seen so far in the CBA except the changes to camp and practice. We all seem to forget how terrible the level of play has been in the first month of the season in recent years. They say the changes will improve player safety and reduce injuries. It seems to me that less training would lead to more injuries not less. And less practice overall and 1/3 less padded practice surely won't improve the quality of play in September. Your thoughts Mike.

I don't think either side is overly concerned about the quality of play in September as long as the TV ratings (owners) and paychecks (players) are where they need to be.

Mike from Lake Villa, IL

I would not be so sure that the NFL owners are absolutely adamant about a seventh team making the playoffs in each conference. The negotiator in me thinks they may be offering that along with a 17th game to the season with the hopes of getting at least one. I believe they want the 17th game more than the seventh playoff team. The question then becomes, how many issues does the NFLPA raise that may be used as bargaining leverage to the owners requests? Any ideas, Wes or Mike?

I don't believe the league actually needs approval of the players' union to change the playoff structure. Even though it's in the current CBA proposal, it's not technically a CBA issue and the owners could just implement it themselves with enough votes by pulling it out of this process, if they desire. But the extension of the regular season must be collectively bargained.

Patrick from Murfreesboro, TN

Expansion talk should be banned. The league can't even figure out what to do with the Chargers and Jaguars. Not to mention that it's already short on starting-caliber QBs, and diluting talent at all positions will inevitably tarnish the game.

Brad from London, Ontario

I can't lie. I feel bad for Tua. In recent NFL history, being a southpaw hasn't translated to much success. The last leftie I remember is Mark Brunell and he wasn't really that special. No one really was writing home about him other than some marginal success for an expansion team. Why hasn't there been much success for southpaws? Is it a matter of which arm you throw with or is Tua really that good a prospect? Please right the ship (I know, I know, poor pun).

Isn't Steve Young in the Hall of Fame? Ken Stabler too? Michael Vick and Boomer Esiason were pretty good if memory serves. I hadn't given it much thought.

Kyle from Appleton, WI

Good morning. I try to be a student of the draft and learn more about the upcoming prospects. My question is why do some prospects come with a projected position change? Wouldn't a player's former team be able to better identify the strengths and weaknesses of a player than an analyst who wasn't actually there? Thank you.

That just tells you how different the pro and college games are. You might be able to play 4-3 defensive end at 255 pounds in college, but good luck doing that in the NFL. Also, some college programs aren't fully stocked in the trenches, so they'll often put their best offensive lineman at tackle, but the body type and skill set can make for a better guard in the pros. That's not an indictment of anyone or anything, just reality.

Todd from Brighton, MI

Juiced raw liver? NOBODY is stealing that lunch.

Amen again.

Rob from Muskego, WI

My Packers Perks lunch tote arrived last week. The "G" was upside down though. I demand my hard earned $0 back.

Was or is? If it was, sounds like it's fine now. Or you have a collector's item and conversation piece. I'm just here to help.