Inbox: It puts life into perspective

Cheesehead

Mar 19, 2019
gkigpupxfynyoz4zhomo

Ben from Pensacola, FL

Finished reading Wes's master project. I'm speechless and my heart is rent. The strength and character of Mitchell is incredible. He and Madison are excellent role models. What a fantastic and humbling opportunity for you, Wes. Fantastic job, honoring this young man. I found myself tearing up just reading it. How much more in writing it.

I’m glad you enjoyed it. It was the hardest story I’ve ever written in my 13 years as a professional writer. These stories challenge a writer’s ability because there is so much information and it’s critical to be respectful to how it’s presented. I could not possibly fathom what the Henry family went through during Mitchell’s seven-month battle with acute myeloid leukemia. A huge amount of credit goes to Terry Henry and Madison. I was texting both of them nonstop over the past two weeks to make sure I got every detail right down to the flavor of Mitchell and Madison’s wedding cake.

Florian from Kronach, Germany

Hi Wes! Great piece of work on Mitchell Henry, a player who definitely had way too little time to spend on this planet. When doing the research in Kentucky, the interviews with the family and coaches and all the editing in the end, have you always been able to stay emotionally neutral and calm in a professional way, or did you get somewhat emotional and maybe even showed your feelings to the ones around you? I am sure I would have cried in the one or another moment...

In the moment, I was cool and collected. I had a job to do in Kentucky and the only way to do it correctly was to stay even-keeled as to not manipulate the emotions of those I was interviewing. Once I got home, it was a different story. As a new father, it was heartbreaking to see what Terry and Lesley went through. I had a lot of long nights of reflection. No parent should ever have to bury a child. To see their strength and resolve was inspiring, though.

Matt from Houston, TX

Wow, what a story about Mitchell Henry! I read the article on lunch at work then watched the video when I got home; both are incredible pieces that do such a good job telling the story of Mitchell and the Henry family. I thought the article had be hard to write, but how hard was it to sit with the family and video those interviews and fishing trips? I'm sure there were plenty of Kleenex boxes in the bin after. Thanks for sharing such an incredible story about that young man's life.

It was easy in some regard because they’re such a welcoming family. The hardest part was when Terry, Lesley and Ben drove Mike and me to the cemetery where Mitchell was buried. That was emotional, but beautiful at the same time. Madison designed his headstone, complete with the antlers at the top.

John from Madison, WI

Aw Jeez, Wes, that was amazing. And it all happened because his dad saw your comment about Mitchell Henry and invited you fishing, after he hadn't gone since his son died? Unbelievable. Congratulations on a magnificent story. If you don't write another word in your life, you can still be proud of this.

I’ve known Ben for years, but I hadn’t talked to him much since Mitchell passed away two years ago. What’s truly remarkable is this story came to fruition because of Inbox. Mitchell’s mom saw my response to Ed from Minneapolis’ question last June and his dad wrote in a month later to ask me if I’d like to come down. Incredible.

Suzanne from Elgin, TX

Wes....the Mitchell Henry story was simply a great read of how love and faith endures against all odds.

The love Mitchell and Madison shared is something special. I think it speaks volumes about Mitchell’s character he never said “why?” throughout his illness. No matter the obstacles, Mitchell never walked back from what he believed. You can’t buy that type of integrity.

Steve from Middletown, KY

Wes, the story was worth the wait. I went to WKU and the University of Louisville, so I follow the players in and after college. I was really excited for him to be a Packer. I fish Taylorsville Lake and hunt within five miles of it. The lake is known for catfish and plenty of crappie. I wish our paths had crossed. Anyway, if you get the chance, I'd like to hear more about your trip to Kentucky. What did it mean to the family, but more importantly, what did it mean to you to be able to share his story? Thanks.

I don’t want to speak for the family, but it seemed like everyone enjoyed the story. Kentucky was fun. I’d only driven through it, never stopped, prior to this trip. Taylorsville is gorgeous. It’s so peaceful out there. As I wrote in the story, I get why Mitchell fell in love with it.

Drew from Colorado Springs, CO

Wes, great work on the Mitchell Henry piece! A touching reminder of the person behind the player. We need more examples of how humanity shapes football, sports, and society in general. A quick question: Is there any moment of Mitchell's time with the Packers that particularly stands out to you?

Character is who you are when no one is looking. I thought it was powerful a member of the Packers’ equipment staff reached out Monday morning with a text that read: “By far one of the kindest UDFAs to pass through the green mile.”

Lynn from Luck, WI

Mitchell Henry and Bart Starr seem to have shared a similar strength of character. Thanks for the excellent piece of writing and for reintroducing us to that fine young man.

That was my primary motivation for writing the story. There are so many players who come in and out of the Packers’ locker room each year I feel we sometimes forget there are human beings behind those facemasks. Henry was more than just a tight end, he was a high-quality person. It’s impossible to find anyone with a bad thing to say about him.