Inbox: It takes a village to win in this league

Cheesehead

Mar 19, 2019
alwnyfljilz0mtbft1bi

Garrett from Le Mars, IA

The depth of that offensive line – amazing. And honestly the depth across the entire team is of the charts. Everyone talked about how banged up SF is, GB isn't exactly (relatively) healthy. Is this on the same level as the 2010 team with a "next man up" ability?

It's getting there. The Packers haven't had the number of outside signings contribute this year as the 2010 squad did to this point, but depth has prevented the ship from taking on water. With all due respect to San Francisco – because it was in a tight spot Thursday night – it's funny how few are talking about the fact the Packers were down two running backs, their No. 2 receiver, their starting left tackle and right guard, a starting linebacker, a cornerback, and finished the game without their top cornerback and Mike linebacker.

Chun from El Monte, CA

This win felt good, even against an opponent ravaged by injuries. I expected the game to be close because the 49ers are still tough up front, but we needed something like this.

After a performance like the Packers had last Sunday against Minnesota, you'll take any breath mint available to you to get that aftertaste off your palate.

Mike from New Orleans, LA

I think we've seen on JK Scott's punts that he has a hell of a leg. I'm wondering why that doesn't translate to kickoffs? Was that the plan going in or are the muscle groups worked on between kicker and punter that different?

It's just repetitions, or a lack thereof. I can probably count on one hand how many times I've seen JK Scott kick off in practice during two-plus years of him being in Green Bay. He looked better this week, though.

Jeff from Ogden, UT

I know he's still green and learning, but once Ty Summers sets his hooks, he's not letting go. He might be the best pure tackler on the team.

I don't know about all of you but I felt like Summers played a nice game, especially given the circumstances, with Kamal Martin being on the COVID-19 list and Krys Barnes leaving with the calf issue. Summers held the line, too, on that fourth-and-1 sneak for the turnover on downs.

Matt from Griffith, IN

Speaking of the Big Dog touchdown, did you hear one of the guys on the field actually "barking" toward Marcedes Lewis? I believe it was Robert Tonyan, and I have to say it made me chuckle. You can tell they're having fun out there.

Fans or no fans, no nickname of a Packers player has been more audible than "Big Dog!" over the past three seasons.

Drew from Billings, MT

Can an assistant coach win Coach of the Year for the NFL? Because Adam Stenavich deserves a ton of credit for how the O-line has played with so many moving parts, both during the week and actual in-game moves.

It doesn't work like that but Stenavich deserves a ton of credit for how he's helped develop and prepare the offensive line. And Billy Turner, Elgton Jenkins, Rick Wagner and Jon Runyan have stepped up without David Bakhtiari the past three weeks. Stenavich had big shoes to fill when he replaced longtime assistant James Campen two years ago, but he's been the right man for the job in helping write a new chapter into Green Bay's rich legacy of strong OL play.

Paul from Northglenn, CO

Does anyone else feel Elgton Jenkins will be the next left tackle?

Jenkins can play wherever he needs to, and with any luck, he'll be doing so in Green Bay for the next decade.