Inbox: It’s going to be a group effort

Cheesehead

Mar 19, 2019
lorltugh7rfhdoaxxojj

Tom from Iron River, WI

Who will be the surprise rookie early in training camp that looks like they will make the team (e.g., Jake Kumerow last year)?

First of all, let’s be clear Kumerow was not a rookie last year. Far from it. He had spent three years in the NFL, mostly on the practice squads of the Bengals and Patriots. Second, I refrain from talking up young unknowns until they’re practicing in pads and have played in at least a preseason game or two. But of the undrafted rookies and first-year players, linebacker Brady Sheldon definitely caught my eye this spring.

Dale from Palmyra, NE

Is “gotten” a word? If so, when should it be used?

It is the past participle of the verb “get.” Today I get (present), yesterday I got (past), and I have gotten (past participle), as in: I get tired of reading poorly written Insider Inbox submissions, I got a break while I was on vacation, and I’ve gotten dismayed at the lack of basic grammar knowledge I’ve encountered (though I’m at least somewhat encouraged by those who’ve gotten interested enough to ask questions).

Gary from Sheboygan, WI

II, a couple of days ago someone asked who did you think would be the backup QB. You said you didn't have a clue. Would you have gotten any serious flak from the organization if you had named someone?

No, but now we’re wearing out Dale. Kidding aside, if I thought someone had the inside track and someone else were an underdog, I’d say so. I gave my honest assessment. I think it’s wide open.

Tom from Burlington, WI

It came up briefly, but has become over shadowed by this 18-game nonsense. I think a 3/17 split of preseason and regular-season games could find real traction with the added game being a neutral/international game. Nothing's perfect, but what would some of the biggest drawbacks be?

The biggest drawback to me, potentially, would be altering the current schedule format with an odd game, but I could live with it. The formula now has teams in one division playing essentially the same schedule except for two games that are determined by the previous season’s place standing. If the number of “placeholder” games increases to three (which, to answer a question from Jeremy from Evansville, would be the most logical way to add a game and yet maintain a steady annual formula, matching up by standings finish with a division from the other conference), does that skew certain schedules as too “tough” or “easy”? My initial reaction is no, so I think it could work.

Matty B from Janesville, WI

One key thing in my mind that'll show improvement on defense: QB passer rating. It's a QB-driven league, need to stop that guy in critical situations. GB allowed a passer rating of 100.9 in 2018 (28th overall in the league). QBs picked apart the Packers’ D last year in critical situations which drives up the passer rating. They need to make the critical plays at critical times in the games. Whether it's a third down, a red-zone stop, or the series after an offensive score.

To clarify, passer rating is not determined by “critical times” in the game. It’s a formula that takes into account (primarily), completion percentage, yards per pass attempt, and TD-to-INT ratio, with no regard for timing. But to your stat, last year was the second straight year the Packers allowed an opposing passer rating above 100, the only two years that happened in the McCarthy era, and yes, it must start going the other direction. The biggest culprits in 2018 were a lack of interceptions and too many big plays allowed. The Packers picked off just seven and allowed six pass plays of 45-plus yards (four for TDs). They improved on the latter as the season went on, with only one of the 45-plus completions coming after the bye week, but the turnovers were missing all season. Pettine’s emphasis on them indicate that’s the next step.

Scott from Fredonia, WI

I find it hard to understand why you both accept that stats like turnovers, third-down percentages, etc., are important to be successful at, yet your view on a successful defense appears to be "you know it when you see it." Why the aversion to defensive rankings? It seems to me that you believe a successful defense is just one that gets lucky by having a higher concentration of impact plays later in the game or in important situations, which isn't sustainable.

Every stat and ranking is a barometer of some kind, and they’re useful reference points. But while making big plays at crunch time may not be sustainable, as you say, doing it more often than not can be the difference between six wins and 10, and by no means would I characterize it as “lucky.” These players are the best at what they do. Being the best when it matters most is not lucky.

Andy from Verona, WI

Once training camp starts, do players use the same bike kid throughout camp or are there lots of potential opportunities for kids who come to camp on a random day to be chosen?

Both. Players do it differently. Some have the same bike kid throughout camp (and over the years as well). Others come out and select a different bike every day.

Mackenzie from Fort Worth, TX

What temperature is considered toasty in Wisconsin?

Depends on your age, perhaps. For a long time, 90 always felt like a definitive line for me, but lately anything above 85 – because it doesn’t get that warm around here without a thicket of humidity coming with it – quickly gets uncomfortable. I think I’m just getting older.

Derek from Norton, KS

MVS stated that the main thing Aaron Rodgers wants from his receivers is consistency. As a leader of people myself, I can say that I would love a team full of consistent members rather than a mix of all-pros and practice-squad players.

Don’t overlook the value of difference-makers in the NFL. A bunch of average players who don’t make mistakes won’t win enough games. But the consistency Rodgers seeks in his receivers has to do with making the proper adjustments regularly, being in the right place at the right time, reading defenses the same way he does. He can’t afford to wonder whether a given receiver is going to adjust or read something differently from time to time, because often the ball has to be out of his hand before that adjustment is made.