Inbox: It’s not so much about pecking order

Cheesehead

Mar 19, 2019
utcj08sxc9btokc44v2w

Jim from Woodbury, MN

How do you see the RB situation playing out?

Very competitively through all four preseason games. I see Jones as the clear No. 1 back, but after that it’s not so much about pecking order for me as it is the roles assigned based on who does what best.

Mark from West Bend, WI

So Wes, what are we going to name that start of yours to the last “Unscripted”? Rock, paper, knife? Spoff didn't even know what to make of it.

Justin from Los Angeles, CA

Do you think one of the reasons Davante Adams doesn't get as much media love as guys like OBJ and Julio is because footwork and juking a guy out of his shoes aren't as exciting on the highlight reel as one-handed grabs and long bombs? A great route isn't as gonna make SportsCenter as much as an acrobatic leap.

Did you see Adams’ falling-down, one-hander on the deep ball in Seattle last year? Or the one-handed snag down the sideline in Chicago from Hundley the year before? I guess he makes it look too easy.

Gary from Sheboygan, WI

How long does the “He was a second-round, third-, fourth-, seventh-round pick” justify keeping a player on the team?

As long as the player is continuing to show progress such that his projected higher ceiling, A, still exists, and B, remains realistically attainable, a draft pick on his first contracts is more than likely going to get his chance to develop until someone else, probably at his position, has a higher ceiling and is closer to it.

Marin from West Lawn, PA

Has Matt LaFleur had previous experience with joint practices with other teams that led him to schedule practices with Houston?

Yes. Last year, Tennessee held two joint practices with Tampa Bay, and the year before, the Rams practiced once with the Chargers.

Dylan from Chapel Hill, NC

Loudest group at camp this year: kids yelling at J.J. Watt to ride their bike or grown men yelling at J.J. Watt to come play for the Packers?

I’ll go with the kids.

Dan from Twin Lakes, WI

Wes answered a few Kevin King/Jaire Alexander questions in Saturday's Inbox but there's one thing I've not seen mentioned that I am greatly anticipating – the competition between these two Alpha males. With both of these guys' swagger, I can't even imagine either one of them being happy with "No. 2" or even "No. 1B" status. Exciting times ahead!

They won’t settle, but they’re so physically different that body-type matchups could play into who’s acting as the No. 1 or No. 2 a given week.

Darrell from San Antonio, TX

I would think at some point during training camp there has to be a 100-yard dash between Alexander and Savage. If you're handicapping this one who has the edge? I watched every game Alexander played at Louisville and I would not rule him out.

I wouldn’t either. Toss-up.

David from San Francisco, CA

James Starks had a rough rookie season?

It’s easy to forget he didn’t see the field for the first time as a pro until Dec. 5, 2010.

Josh from Melbourne, Australia

I assume Lowry and Adams are competing for the other starting DE spot opposite Daniels. Who's shaping up as the front-runner there and what happens with Keke thrown into the mix? I assume we're going to see a lot of rotation in the front seven this season.

Your concluding statement means more than your preceding question.

Jake from Crandon, WI

Gentlemen, my question is what you thought of Tony Brown? I saw serious talent without discipline. Do you think that can be couched into him and will he make a big Year 2 leap as a UDFA? Thanks for your time!

The fact that Brown’s lack of discipline in a couple of early, very visible instances didn’t cost him a roster spot told me the Packers must believe there’s legitimate talent to harvest. Now it’s up to Brown to take advantage of a second chance not every young player gets and prove them right.

Ryan from Manchester, England

More of a statement than a question. I used to think it barely mattered whether players were picked in Round 7 or went undrafted. However, as per ESPN, Ty got $90,000 extra on his signing bonus than the UDFAs. That matters, a lot.

To the player, absolutely. To the team, it’s just the cost of doing business.