Inbox: It’s time to flip the script

Cheesehead

Mar 19, 2019
vzewjtupeiwusnsc0oma

Tom from Eugene, OR

If the NFL decides to start scheduling games at neutral-site stadiums, would teams likely have a say in where they play? I could see Lambeau being a sought-after destination because of the history and mystique surrounding the place. Then again, Bears-Vikings at Lambeau? Seems like sacrilege.

The question provided Lambeau as an example for a neutral-site game, but unless I’ve been reading the tea leaves wrong, the idea is the 17th game would be an international contest. They’re not going to mix things up so the Bears and Vikings play a game at Lambeau.

David from Saint Paul, MN

Wouldn't a 17-game season throw all of the previous generation of statistics out the door?

It would muddy the water the same way the 16-game schedule did in 1978.

Dan from Rosthern, Saskatchewan, Canada

If the NFL were to expand to a 17-game regular season, would the salary cap increase? If so, how much?

I think it would have to. If it doesn’t make dollars, it doesn’t make sense. You can’t ask players to work an extra week and not pay them for it.

Tony from Bronxville, NY

Regarding the discussion about the neutral-site games and revenue, it all makes sense. But every other year, the Green Bay economy is down a preseason game. It probably doesn't hurt as much as if a regular-season game is missed, but it still has an impact. Thoughts?

That is a salient point. There are only 10 guaranteed games at Lambeau Field every season. Each is sacred to the community and stadium district. While I can’t imagine the two preseason games net as much as the regular season, it’s still an NFL game.

Tim from Normal, IL

Insiders, Bill from Bloomfield Hills had a great question on Saturday about advanced metrics changing strategy in sports such as going for it on every fourth down. In basketball, guys are regularly passing up layups for a pass to a corner-3 because of metrics. That would have been considered benching material in prior generations. Do you see any similar plays or decisions so blatantly metrics-driven now or in the future in the NFL?

That’s a great question. The one I still don’t quite understand is the use of timeouts while on defense before halftime. That’s not a dig on McCarthy. I just don’t get that strategy given how the league favors the offense. Regardless of what the numbers say, there still must be a human element to this game (momentum, intimate knowledge of your team, etc.)

Brian from Lawrenceville, GA

Lots lately about NFL revenue. I believe my question falls under that category. Teams such as Georgia and Grambling State University use the "G" logo that's synonymous with Green Bay. For the teams it applies to, how much, if any, revenue comes from others using their logo?

I don’t know about other logos, but the Packers derive no profit from allowing others to use the "G." I believe Georgia and Grambling State asked for permission to use a version of the "G" a long time ago.

Suzanne from Elgin, TX

Pampers is coming out with a line of smart diapers called Lumi which alert parents via an app when their baby goes No. 1. The sensors in footballs are closer than we all think...

Point taken, but the yellow-to-blue strip is good enough for me.

Todd from Brighton, MI

Safe to say Wes survived and is properly hydrated?

We made it; finished just before the monsoon hit. Thank you for your concern.

David from Hilliard, OH

Insiders, what do you think about sports reporters who use their platforms to comment politically on the air or over social media? Do the Packers have a no-politics policy for their media department?

It’s a free country. If you don’t like it, Twitter has this state-of-the-art “Unfollow” button for your consideration. I choose not to put any kind of leanings on social media, but it’s not because of the Packers. They aren’t telling me what or what not to tweet. I just feel there’s nothing to gain from it. I use Twitter to promote my content. That’s it.

Dominic from Newark, DE

With the word on the third jerseys, what is a personal favorite throwback? I liked the one before this with the yellow circle in the middle and the brown helmet.

My favorite throwback is one the Packers have yet to wear – the 1935-36 unis. I need to see that uniform on an NFL field before my time on earth is over.