Inbox: Maybe there’ll be more than one

Cheesehead

Mar 19, 2019
o8tnvqb5lsnijycax63p

Jim from Woodbury, MN

Besides being part of a winning team, what would make it a good year for Rashan Gary? (and you don’t necessarily need to provide a statistical answer)

Film that shows him affecting games regularly by the end of his rookie season. That’s what the film showed with Kenny Clark back in 2016, despite minimal stats to show for it.

Todd from Brighton, MI

20 practices, four preseason games. Longer than your typical job interview, but doesn't seem like enough.

If it doesn’t seem like enough for a given player, you probably have your answer, don’t you?

Cindy from Los Angeles, CA

Hey Insiders, I want to introduce my new squeeze to the Packers by taking a weekend trip to one of the road games this fall. Which of the Cowboys, 49ers, or Giants games would you pick and why? Point of origin is irrelevant.

Well, I got a friend tickets to the ’16 NFC Divisional game in Dallas, and she said the fans were so hostile to her family she’d never go back. And there’s no redeemable value to the giant tin can of a stadium in East Rutherford. So I’d go with San Francisco for the Rodgers v. Garoppolo, LaFleur v. Shanahan, and Wes v. trolley car storylines.

Derek from Sheboygan, WI

Who do you think will win the backup spot at quarterback this year?

I honestly don’t know. This is the first camp I can recall in a while for which there doesn’t seem to be a favorite to take the job.

Eddie from La Crosse, WI

Mike, you've received many questions and comments about "stealing first base," so one more won't hurt! It comes down to this: The pitcher/hitter contest is the ultimate game within a game. Both contestants spend their entire careers mastering the art of defeating the other. The hitter has to EARN his way onto the bases. Taking off for first base during the at-bat is not earning his way.

Thank you.

Jake from Atlanta, GA

My instinct is to agree with you about not introducing a rule to allow players to steal first base, but on the other hand, is it so different from the dropped-third-strike rule? I’ve never really understood the logic behind that one either.

The purpose is to make the defense complete the out. The catcher not catching a third strike is (theoretically only, mind you) equivalent to the first baseman missing the throw from the shortstop. It’s just never been allowed with first base occupied and less than two outs so the defense can’t use the rule to its advantage.

Scott from Boring, OR

Man, scoring 6, 6, 6, 6, 12 and losing reminds me of the 2014 championship game. Brutal defeat. I feel for Federer.

Quite the contrary, I’d call it a most noble and honorable defeat, entirely unlike the game you referenced.

Bill from Coeur D’Alene, ID

If a player like Robbie Gould hasn't signed his franchise tag by the start of training camp, is he considered a free agent, able to be signed by another team? If he's not a free agent, is there any way another team like the Packers could sign him?

Only in the event the 49ers rescind the tag. The deadline for a franchise-tagged player to sign a long-term deal is today at 3 p.m. CT. If he doesn’t agree to a long-term deal by the deadline, he can only sign a one-year deal (with the team that tagged him) unless the tag is removed. This applies to Gould and Houston’s Jadeveon Clowney.

Andrew from Simi Valley, CA

Those profits though...looks like this year’s Christmas bonus is just a membership to the jelly of the month club.

I hope your humor is a reflection of the lack of concern anyone should have over those financial numbers. The franchise’s corporate reserve is still in the neighborhood of $400 million. Rodgers’ contract, four major free-agent signings, concussion settlement money, a coaching changeover, 100 Seasons celebrations, and a second straight non-playoff season all added up to basically a break-even year. So it goes.

Jeremy from Bowling Green, KY

I've decided to storm Area 51 in search of that stupid football measuring computer chip thingy. You in? Sure I know it's dangerous, but the risk is worth putting an end to these questions, right?

Anything is worth the risk.