Inbox: No one needs to see or read a sign

Cheesehead

Mar 19, 2019
g69a9s2qsz54vv118ghh

Mike from Dubuque, IA

It seems to me bad teams make excuses, while good teams make changes. Assuming the Packers are a good, if not great team, what changes do you see them making?

I disagree that good teams make changes. Good teams trust what they're doing, know why their process failed them at any particular time, and react accordingly.

Michael from Morrison, IL

Just one last item on Tampa Bay before we move on to the next chapter. In 10 games at Raymond James Stadium, the Packers are 2-8 with a cumulative minus-12 turnover differential. Green Bay QBs (mostly Favre and Aaron Rodgers, but also some Matt Hasselbeck and Matt Flynn) hold a combined 62.6 passer rating and have been sacked 28 times in those games. Only once have the Packers scored more than 23 points in RJS (in a loss, mind you). That stadium is truly a house of horrors for Packer offenses.

Wow, I didn't realize it was that bad. I was there for the disasters in '08 and '09 with Rodgers, and I recall Favre having some rough days there against Dungy's defenses, but that's really something. Vishnu from Granite Bay, CA, also pointed out in addition to two of Rodgers' three pick-sixes, two of his four career three-INT games have been there (including two picks in a span of three possessions in '08, the closest he's ever come to back-to-back that I'm aware of). Unreal.

Michael from Granite City, IL

On "Unscripted," Spoff said that he was in attendance when Rodgers threw for six TDs. My question is, does that mean Rodgers is going from playing at his most troublesome stadium (eight INTs in Tampa Bay) to his most productive away venue in back-to-back weeks?

Well, the six-TD game in Houston was his only career appearance there, so to call it a small sample size would be an understatement. But in that spirit, I'll point out the game after Rodgers threw his last pick-six, in 2017, he threw four TD passes and had a 128.0 rating.

Howie from Saint Ignace, MI

Are you more surprised Chicago is 5-1 or Minnesota is 1-5?

Flip a coin.

Randy from Ooltewah, TN

I saw some nice flashes from Montravius Adams against the Bucs, and JK Scott was really good. Were there some other good performances by Packers on Sunday that got lost in the rout?

David Bakhtiari was his usual rock-solid self until he got hurt, and I thought Turner played pretty well, too. I didn't review the defensive film in the same manner, but with Evans and Godwin combining for just six catches and 58 yards, credit is due to Jaire Alexander, and I also thought Josh Jackson was having a decent game for the first 2½ quarters.

Corey from Bethlehem, PA

Why does it seem like some organizations constantly get in their own way for success? The Dolphins are sitting nice at 3-3 and second place in a more winnable division and they bench their starting QB? Fitzmagic was playing relatively well, why bench him now for an unproven rookie?

When an organization feels the future has arrived, delaying it is what doesn't make sense.

Levi from St. Paul, MN

Hey II, I was wondering what your thoughts are on the effect momentum has on pro athletes. Because what I saw after that second pick was a team that had little left in the tank. I'm sure they continued to play hard, but it just looked bad. Looking through the lens of a fan it looked sort of liked they gave up, but I know that was not the case. Was it all the combined missed opportunities, or was the juice going the wrong way?

I think there was genuine shock at the speed with which everything changed (basically three offensive snaps) and how it changed (two picks from the most INT-averse QB in history). It was stunning, and they're human. Do pro athletes need to snap out of it? Absolutely. The failure to do so must be remembered because it's quite likely they'll be called on to respond to another shell-shocking turn of events, perhaps with even more at stake.

Earl from Marietta, GA

Packers laid an egg, now what?

Like Billy Turner said Monday, don't do it again.

Mike from Brighton, IL

To give the recent blow out a break, which NFC East team do you think has the best chance of finishing at .500? And why?

I went into the season believing the Eagles were the best team in that division, and nothing I've seen has changed my mind. They're in the best shape, roster-wise, to win the East. I predict the Week 13 game at Lambeau Field will be bigger than anyone thinks right now.