Inbox: No one really knows

Cheesehead

Mar 19, 2019
gqle8xt2s1h8yqkuyebq

Dana from Eau Claire, WI

Crazy world gentlemen! Let's hope we have sports again soon to brighten our days and nights. I know you can always use depth in the OL, but do you feel like this is a very small area of need for the Pack or where would you put it on the priority list?

I think offensive line is always a priority in a draft. You need seven or eight active and ready on any given game day, and as the saying goes big guys don't grow on trees. The urgency of the priority this year mostly hinges on what happens with Bryan Bulaga, but as I've said before, even if Bulaga re-signs, I still expect the Packers to be planning for the future.

Mark from West Bend, WI

Mike, there's been a lot of talk about the potential release of Lane Taylor to save cap space. But couldn't a possible scenario be that he play right guard and Billy Turner slide to right tackle in the event the Packers can't come to an agreement with Bryan Bulaga? That would not be that bad a start to the offensive line, and maybe add Jared Veldheer into the mix as well. This would also allow some FA cap space. Thoughts?

I wouldn't rule it out. I have no report on where Taylor is health-wise after his season-ending injury, so that would factor into any possible fallback plan. If Turner is a realistic option at right tackle, Lucas Patrick could also step in at guard.

Paul from Farnborough, UK

Dear Wes/Spoff, can you still remember clearly attending your first-ever Green Bay game and what were the circumstances? Playoff game, first game of the season, etc.? What stand-out memories still survive to this day?

I've told the story before about my first NFL game being Packers-Bears at Soldier Field in December of 1984. My first game at Lambeau Field was also Packers-Bears, almost exactly 10 years later, December of '94. I remember the Packers' backs were up against it, with the Bears also in the hunt, and Green Bay just annihilated Chicago. The Bears led 3-0 early and the Packers ran away with it, 40-3. I recall Sharpe and Brooks dominating, and Butler with a pick and long runback. Both teams finished 9-7 but you wouldn't have known it that day.

Nate from Minneapolis, MN

In the past four years, the Packers MO has been FA for the TE position. The team struck gold with the Cook signing, but Bennett was a bust and Graham was less effective than expected. Can we expect another veteran FA signing like Hooper or Ebron, or does management target a high draft pick like Kmet or Hopkins to fill the No. 2 slot behind a young Jace Sternberger?

Again, I see all options on the table. I don't think it's wise to develop a "this or bust" plan for any given position because there are so many moving parts in free agency and the draft. You do your homework, stay involved, and make decisions as they present themselves.

Mark from West Des Moines, IA

What are your thoughts regarding the sporting world's response to COVID-19?

Pressing the pause button is the right thing to do. There's no doubt about that when the risks are considered. Hopefully the sacrifices being made now will at least reduce the fallout to some extent and shorten the overall timeline for humanity to get through this. That's the only way to look at it.

Kevin from Rockton, IL

It looks like the NFL will luckily be the least affected by the coronavirus outbreak.

As far as the major sports go, yes, at this point. Any potential shifting around regarding free agency, the draft, and offseason workouts is pretty minor compared to what other sports are going through. Heck, nine years ago a six-month offseason lockout ultimately didn't affect the season in any material way.

Gary from Davenport, IA

Is it safe to say all of the time Joe Lunardi spent on the job this season was a complete waste of time?

I honestly feel bad for all the amateur athletes who don't get to finish their seasons in traditional fashion. As much as I'm bummed out as a fan not to get March Madness and the start of the baseball season as usual, it's all the high school and college athletes who might have been competing for a championship for the last time in their lives that I feel for the most.

Josh from Holgate, OH

Vic, it's been awhile since I've visited the site, just wanted to stop in to say hi. Anyhow, what do you think about the QB from Oregon Dustin hurburt? Looks like he may fall right in the green and yellows lap! He looks good in those colors!

I've been floored by a lot of things this week, but this one takes the cake, so I left it in all its original, unedited glory.