Inbox: Packers need those guys to emerge

Cheesehead

Mar 19, 2019
e2yvobfszk3era8cnra3

Alessandro from Belo Horizonte, Brazil

Hello Insiders, love the column, read it every day. We haven't talked about special teams in a while. With free agency and the draft behind us now, what have the Packers done to get better in that phase of the game (besides the coaching changes)? What sort of contribution can we expect out of the recently added players?

We have to wait for the preseason games for that. A lot of young guys in the NFL didn’t play special teams in college, so there’s a transition, and it’s difficult to gauge who has a knack for it and who doesn’t. It’s also what makes special teams coordinator one of the tougher coaching jobs.

James from Spooner, WI

Speaking of special teams Hall Of Famers, is Devin Hester a Hall of Famer? In my mind he's first-ballot, as he is the all-time best at what he did, and nobody really comes close.

I don’t know about first-ballot, but Hester is Canton-bound in my mind.

Aaron from Madison, WI

With all due respect to “Bull Durham,” the answer is “Field of Dreams.” If you didn’t ugly cry at, “Dad, you wanna have a catch?” you are devoid of a soul.

This was the most popular retort to my selection. I have nothing against “Field of Dreams” and it would be my clear No. 2. Dyersville is less than an hour’s drive from my hometown, and one of my junior high teachers even had a bit part in the movie. But “Bull Durham” just has too many great lines.

Tony from Cary, NC

I've seen a lot written about the interior lineman, but nothing about Montravius Adams. What are your thoughts on Adams having a big third year? Hopefully he can stay healthy. I remember a lot of talk about him in training camp last year and he finished the year pretty strong.

This is the year for Adams to put it all together. Every time position coach Jerry Montgomery talks about him, the word consistency comes up. It’s time for him to get there.

Tyler from Grantsburg, WI

I’ve been hearing how Sternberger is a terrific pass catcher, which leads me to question why he was the sixth tight end taken and lasted until the third round. I know he only played one year in Division I and I haven’t heard how he does blocking, so is one of these the reason why he lasted so late?

It’s both. You aren’t going to learn how to block well enough at this level in one year of games at a major college.

Arthur from Chippewa Falls, WI

With Sternberger being drafted and everyone saying how he will benefit from being with Lewis and Graham, nobody seems to be mentioning Tonyan. Is he now trade bait, the team keeping four tight ends, or will he be competing for a job against the other three? What are your thoughts?

I could see the Packers keeping four tight ends, but Tonyan will have to earn his spot. He’s still a raw prospect with minimal NFL experience. He showed some promising flashes but needs to do more now.

Bryant from Grovetown, GA

I have heard a lot about the Packers’ lack of depth at LB, but doesn't drafting Savage free up Jones to play the hybrid LB role full time? I believe I also heard rumbles of Josh Jackson moving to safety, so it seems like the drafting of Savage and signing of Amos has really added flexibility and versatility to the secondary.

It’s about finding what guys do best. I think Jackson stays at corner in Year 2, but if hybrid linebacker is the best spot for Jones, then he needs to make the most of it.

Miranda from Rochester, NY

Hi there. Do you think drafting Gary might hint towards their plans for re-signing Mike Daniels, or not re-signing?

I think those are questions that are answered as time goes on. I don’t see a reason for deciding anything on Daniels right now.

Jason from Portsmouth, UK

Of all the defensive additions this offseason (free agency and draft picks), which particular area in the defense are you most looking out for improvement in the coming training camp and regular season? For me it’s looking for our new pass rushers getting after the QB.

Indubitably.