Inbox: Perseverance never goes out of style

Cheesehead

Mar 19, 2019
ewe57rant4liq5eu8o0e

Al from Green Bay, WI

At the risk of coming off as a "name dropper" I will tell you I had a conversation with David Bakhtiari yesterday, and I asked his thoughts on the expanded 17-game season. He spoke at length about the toll a 16-game (plus playoffs) season imparts on a player's body. He, like many players, was opposed to the change. With that in mind, do you think an 18-game season is really likely to come down the road?

Eventually, but not this decade during the current CBA for sure. I don't doubt Bakhtiari's concerns, but collective bargaining is just that, collective bargaining. At some point the owners will concede on certain things the players deem more important so they can get their 18th game. It might not be for a couple more CBAs, like 20 years, but it'll happen.

Bruce from Green Bay, WI

It is exciting to hear Jaire Alexander has come back in prime shape. Have you noticed by watching him practice if he is playing faster than last season?

I'm not sure how he would accomplish that.

Kevin from Starr Pass, AZ

Good morning Insiders! I hope you are both enjoying the "void season" this year. I wanted to say I appreciate the guarded approach the Inbox is taking to the AR12 situation. Not unlike other GB fans, whenever people learn I'm a Packers fan they immediately ask my opinion on the QB situation. I tell them if the Pack has to rebuild around a new QB it's better to do so after making it to the NFC Championship rather than from the cellar. Am I wrong?

No. McCarthy always used to say it's not just about a young QB being ready, it's about the team being ready for a young QB. As constructed, this team is more than ready for it. That said, when you're on the cusp as the Packers have been, you'd like to see if the next step can be taken before undergoing a major change.

Ed from Minneapolis, MN

Hi fellas, thank you for filling "the void." It seems like the rookies miss a lot of their last year of college. Do you have any good stories about some of these student athletes going back and finishing their degrees?

I remember interviewing both Casey Hayward and Randall Cobb for offseason website stories after they finished. Both guys sounded more proud in those conversations than during any discussions I had with them about football.

Craig from Elkton, MD

So I harvested my garlic crop today. I got 53 bulbs. We had kind of a weird growing season so some bulbs are really well developed and some others are just kind of average. Now they are all hanging for drying and curing. I won't know how they taste until I get to use them in a recipe. The not knowing is part of the appeal and mystique of growing garlic. I look forward to the process of discovery that will stretch out over many months of culinary pleasure. Sound familiar?

I once had a junior high teacher who pranked the class clown by giving him a piece of garlic gum. True story.

Ted from Las Vegas, NV

Bart Starr, Brett Favre and Aaron Rodgers. Your opinion on which of these great Packer QBs had (have) the greatest on-field input during a game, considering their head coaches?

That's impossible to answer. Of the three, I would say Rodgers makes the most pre-snap adjustments at the line of scrimmage, Favre did the most post-snap improvising, and Starr called plenty of his own plays in the huddle. So I don't know how you differentiate.

William from Fairhope, AL

We saw DeShone Kizer and Brett Hundley on the field in important regular-season action. For the most part, their performances were underwhelming. We have not seen Jordan Love in these same situations. That said, what are realistic expectations for Love – versus how the coaches and other experts felt about Kizer and Hundley as they were in their understudy phase?

Again, I don't know how to answer that. We have yet to see Love play in a preseason game, and he's being developed by an entirely different coaching staff.

Randy from Bayfield, WI

Which team in the NFC will surprise everyone this season?

As far as the non-playoff teams from 2020 that have the best playoff chances in 2021, I'd put Arizona and San Francisco at the top of the list.