Inbox: So, what now?

Cheesehead

Mar 19, 2019
gm5xddyjehre8ip5tfij

Jeff from Vandenberg AFB, CA

Mike, I saw Lavonte David signed a two-year, $25M deal with the Bucs with three voidable years so that his cap hit in 2021 is only $3.5M. Can you help me better understand this concept? Would his cap hit next year then be $21.5M if the last three years are voided?

No. We'll see what the actual details are on the deal, but I'm going to estimate numbers to try to explain what the Bucs did to ease their immediate cap crunch and still keep David. At two years and $25M ($20M guaranteed) with three voidable years as reported, the deal could be structured with a $12.5M signing bonus, $1M salary in 2021, and $6.5M guaranteed salary (plus $5M in incentives) in 2022. With the signing bonus prorated over the full five years, his cap charge for this year is $3.5M ($2.5M bonus proration plus $1M salary). Next year, the cap charge could range from $9M (2.5 plus 6.5) to $14M (2.5 plus 11.5) depending on the incentives. In the third year, if the rest of the contract is voided by him signing another deal, or if he's released or retires, the remaining three years of bonus proration ($7.5M) would have to count against the cap as dead money. The dead money could be split into the third and fourth years if a June 1 designation is used. Again, I'm guessing on the numbers and structure, but hope that helps.

Blake from Charlotte, NC

Dak Prescott's new contract reportedly came with "no franchise/transition tag" clause attached. I don't remember hearing this with any other contracts before. Was this a first? Also, are there repercussions tied to Dallas being in breach of that? Thanks for any clarity you can provide!

I'm not sure if Prescott is the first to have a no-tag clause, but I could see it becoming more common. There's really no way for Dallas to be in breach of it. After he plays the last game on the deal, his contract would still be in force in the offseason until the start of the new league year, and the deadline for a team to apply the franchise tag is before that date. He's guaranteeing himself a shot at free agency at the end of this new deal if he wants it.

Dwight from Brooklyn, NY

One of the fun things for me reading II is seeing the international addresses of Packers fans, some from places I never imagined there would be any. What was the address that caused you to do a "Woah!"?

I remember one day a while ago seeing submissions from both Slovenia and Slovakia on the same day. I was taken aback a bit, though in this forum you can never be certain someone's stated location is legit, such as …

Pharoah from Giza, Egypt

Good morning Insiders! One possibility that seems to be getting overlooked is the Packers taking a RB at the end of round one. That way we can let Aaron Jones walk, and still have a dynamic backfield at a smaller cost. Every one of our losses last year came when we couldn't establish our running attack consistently. A tandem of, say, AJ Dillon and Najee Harris would be very hard to stop.

I don't disagree entirely, but with the Packers' long-term needs in the trenches and at other premier positions like cornerback, using a first-round pick on a running back would be a highly suspect move in my book. It's a lot easier to find a productive running back in the middle rounds than a big guy or cover man who can become a mainstay.

Ryan from Sun Prairie, WI

Who do I have to talk to about applying for the job of turning off the coaches' mic to the green-dot player? I think I am qualified.

I'm gonna find a way to get that gig when I retire so I can still get paid to enter an NFL stadium every fall Sunday.

Mike from Green Bay, WI

Longtime reader, first thanks to both of you for your insight and humor. I listened to Joe Barry and was intrigued by his candid answers from questions from reporters. He didn't really divulge any concepts he will install. What are your initial thoughts and can you offer any insight regarding scheme that will be different than his predecessor?

If he's going to focus on what the Rams ran under Brandon Staley, the coordinator Barry worked for last year, that scheme keeps both safeties back more often, which subsequently can change how tight ends and slot receivers are accounted for, as well as some concepts up in the box.