Inbox: Thankfully they didn't listen

Cheesehead

Mar 19, 2019
ylvhlhublgwbvcnqeq0q

Jerry from Erie, PA

Morning Mike, sounds like C. Patterson would like to become a Packer? I certainly would do my best to accomplish that if I were the GM of the Pack. I think he would really juice up the return game which the Pack needs badly. How do you feel about a legit shot to obtain C. Patterson?

Social media sure makes things interesting, doesn't it? I have no idea how interested the Packers are. I would think it would mostly depend on price.

Jason from Aurora, WI

While the topic of sports movies has been tabled, I must submit that the omission of "The Big Lebowski" is disheartening. That said, I am at this moment somewhere near Indianapolis enjoying my very first Steak 'n' Shake burger, so thank you for that. The II abides.

First day back and you bring up Steak 'n' Shake? Now I need another vacation.

Ryan from Ripon, WI

With the draft being looked at being held at Lambeau Field, where would the Packers' staff have their war room so that the activities outside would not be a major distraction to them?

They'd be totally insulated from all of it and wouldn't have to move. The draft room is on the interior of the third floor with no windows, and if they haven't soundproofed it, I'm sure they could.

Greg from Glendale Heights, IL

The Return of The King...welcome back Spoff! No earth-shattering news while you were gone, but lots of great news bringing back leaders on both sides of the ball. This (predictably) quiet free agency season has me wondering, who would you consider the splashiest free-agent acquisition in Packers history, at least based on perception at the time?

Well, the list always starts with Reggie White and Charles Woodson, but beyond them, the ones I recall generating the most buzz were Sean Jones, Santana Dotson, Joe Johnson and Julius Peppers.

Lyle from Milwaukee, WI

People are thinking the Packers haven't reworked Aaron's contract so they can move on to Jordan. I think they don't want to move more of his contract down the road where he's a very large amount of the salary cap already. Remember the more they move down the road, the less they have to work with then. We do have a few years till we get back to a decent cap.

I specifically recall Gutekunst saying in his early March media/Zoom session that his approach to free agency would be to create cap room as he goes. Meaning, if the right free-agent opportunity comes along and the Packers want to pounce, they'll make room, but not necessarily in advance. There's still plenty of time for contract machinations if needed.

George from North Mankato, MN

Welcome back Mike, hope you enjoyed your time away. Just wondering if you know how the Packers rate in regards to "dead cap" hits on an average year? Do you think the addition of voidable years to many of the team's restructured deals will present challenges in the near future? Can you share any other of Russ Ball's secrets to staying under the cap?

I don't know where the Packers rank annually in terms of dead money, but they've kept their numbers low in that department by design. The only major dead cap hit I can recall in the last decade or so was when they released Nick Perry two years into a five-year deal. Given the circumstances, I don't think the Packers are pushing out an exorbitant amount of cap charges. Yes, there will be some challenges this year and next, but they (along with several other teams) are just figuring out how to bridge the gap until the new TV money boosts the cap back to where it was and beyond.

Steven from Silver Spring, MD

With the signing of Kevin King, we are returning the entire starting lineup from the prior year. Now TB is doing the same. Does this strike you as related to the COVID era or just random circumstance?

Contenders aren't interested in major overhauls if they don't feel their team has gotten too old. Unusual cap considerations certainly play into the offseason approach at the moment, but investing in one's own players (the known) instead of other players (the unknown) is almost always preferred by the teams that feel they're legitimately in the hunt rather than trying to get in it.

Jason from Vernon Hills, IL

Do you think that the Packers will try to keep Aaron Rodgers as long as he wants to play? Or do you think that they will move on from him after this season?

Rodgers hit the nail on the head last spring when he said what he controls most about his future in Green Bay is how he plays. I don't think that's changed. If he plays at an MVP level for years to come, and stays healthy, Jordan Love might never take a meaningful snap for the Packers. I'm not saying that's going to happen, but I'm not ruling it out, and if that comes to pass it shouldn't be viewed as the wrong outcome or an indictment of the investment in Love. But it's also a two-way street involving Rodgers' personal desires, contract demands, etc., which could change over time. So I don't get too hung up on it either way. Sitting here right now, I believe if Rodgers keeps playing like this and wants to continue playing in Green Bay, with no equivocations, he'll give the Packers no reason to pass the torch.