Inbox: That's pretty consistent impact

Cheesehead

Mar 19, 2019
j93nszm5ahmdndyrd4xg

Ryan from Appleton, WI

Are the Packers planning on unveiling a new throwback jersey for this upcoming season?

Yes, but I'm not sure exactly when.

Nicholas from Baltimore, MD

I find that the 10-6 Dolphins didn't make the playoffs yet the 8-8 Bears did to be very annoying, not just as a Packers fan. What do you think about a revised playoff structure where only the eight division winners are tied to their conference in the playoffs, but then the wild cards are allocated just based on record and could go to either the AFC or NFC bracket? Would create some interesting playoff matchups.

It might, but for the bazillionth time, there won't be any discussion about melding AFC/NFC playoff spots, matchups, etc., without changing the scheduling formula, which has all teams playing 12 of (now) 17 games against their own conference. And since that's not changing anytime soon, neither is a structure that selects the same number of teams from each conference for the postseason. This comes up all the time, and I don't know why it's so hard for people to grasp.

Christopher from Frederick, MD

As an II vet, going back to the Ask Vic days, do you think we would have time to explain to Brandon about the stolen lunches and laser goalposts? Or should we keep that as privileged information?

Depends on my mood.

Paul from Superior, WI

Is anyone thinking that Kevin King might be a sneaky fit at nickel back?

I think King is an outside corner, pure and simple. If Stokes wins the No. 2 cornerback job – which is not a given by any stretch, only a possibility at this point – then when King would come on the field as the No. 3, either Alexander or Stokes would move to the nickel spot. That's how I see it anyway.

JR from East Moline, IL

In your lifetime, what/who were the best Super Bowl halftime performances?

Nothing will ever top U2 after 9/11 for me.

John from Munising, MI

Why is it the "Super Bowl," the "Stanley Cup," and the "World Series," but merely the NBA Finals? Go Bucks!

Well, the first one is named after a child's toy, the second actually started as an amateur trophy, and the third is inappropriately titled, so while I enjoy all the monikers as much as the next sports fan, there's no shame in simplicity.

Nathan from Philadelphia, PA

I meant QBs drafted in the salary-cap era (although I guess there was a salary cap by the time Favre got his second contract). To that point, which had a bigger impact on teams' approach to acquiring a QB: the salary cap in '94, or the new rookie contract regulations in '11?

The game wasn't as blatantly QB-driven in the early cap era. Even though the HOF QBs were winning most of the Super Bowls (Aikman, Young, Favre, Elway), Trent Dilfer and Brad Johnson still slipped in there around the turn of the century. As the game became more QB-driven than ever, the rookie wage scale implemented with the 2011 CBA made it much easier for teams to build around their first-round QBs. When guys like Matthew Stafford ('09) and Sam Bradford ('10) were No. 1 overall picks, their teams had to pay them so much money before they'd proven anything it was a challenge for those clubs to build competitive rosters.