Inbox: That's really hard to answer

Cheesehead

Mar 19, 2019
mlezunsqfzxesue6ir0w

Ed from Minneapolis, MN

Hey Mike, did you ever interview Walter Payton? Any good tales of our Chicago foes?

I never interviewed Walter. I got his autograph a few times as a kid. He used to bring an RV to Platteville for training camp and park it right outside the campus dorm building where the players stayed. One time when I was hanging out by the dining hall after practice to get autographs while the players went in and out for dinner, my friend and I decided to just walk over to the RV and knock on the door. He answered and, surprisingly, didn't appear bothered by our intrusion. We didn't ask for autographs, just struck up a friendly chat. He seemed about to invite us in to hang out when he spotted a small throng of fans heading toward us. He politely said, "Sorry guys, I'd better go," and shut the door.

Ron from Waukesha, WI

Spoff: My cardiologist just told me to limit my salt, limit my red meat, and limit my watching our defense drop back 10 yards on third-and-7. I'm sure I can do the first two but I'm going to need some help from Joe Barry on the third item. Should we expect to see noticeable changes in our defense in 2021?

I admire the creative submission. Judging from LaFleur's late-season comments, he's looking for a different approach in certain situations.

Dean from Leavenworth, IN

Every year I spend three months perusing through all the mock drafts. I get honed in on the "areas of need." I get juiced about the gems that might fall to the Packers and then the draft comes and … Why do I keep torturing myself Mike?

Maybe you should see if Ron's cardiologist knows a good psychologist.

Dan from Kenosha, WI

Mike, I fully understand the perspectives regarding the WR position but I can't help but feel that if Marquez Valdes-Scantling converts three or four of those crucial drops the conversation would be completely different. He would have been near 900 yards with 2-3 more touchdowns. He is clearly a special talent which explains the Packers' patience. His showing in the NFC Championship Game has me encouraged. Bold prediction: MVS solves the dropsies and explodes as a complement to Davante Adams in 2021.

No one would complain. That would be a boon to the offense next season. But since no one can guarantee that – and if it does happen, he might price himself out of a second Green Bay contract – I'll stand by my statement from yesterday that it would behoove the Packers to add legitimate competition and plan for the future at the position.

Joe from Shirley, NY

The Packers normally have been pretty good about managing the cap, or so I thought. How did they wind up in this position?

Mostly because they signed four expensive free agents two years ago, with most of the deals structured with larger cap hits in Year 3, and now the cap is dropping rather than going up by its usual $10M-plus per year.

Gordon from Newport Beach, CA

Mike, the entire punting/punt return units need to provide some contribution. Could you see the Packers drafting a punter?

I'm not sure I'd bet on it, but I wouldn't rule it out. I expect competition brought in there, one way or another.

Mark from Rock Vale Terrace, IL

Howdy, Mike! Are you getting tired of the Hod's lunches, RB player numbers and other non-football related nonsense like many of your readers? This is heading me for a ban, but I won't realize it as none of my questions have been answered for a couple of years. My questions may not all make the cut, but our time is valuable and seems like we both waste a lot on, again, nonsense!

Sorry, but I just don't take myself that seriously. Also, spending 50-100 words per day on "nonsense" in a 2,000-word column is a minimal sacrifice required for my sanity. I'm sure Dean's new counselor would agree.