Inbox: That's the way it goes sometimes

Cheesehead

Mar 19, 2019
drmtto06rxpd3aujyeuk

Steve from Wellington, FL

Perhaps more than ever, it's not so much who you play week to week, but when you play them. The Bucs come off a hard loss and Packers had relaxing bye week with everyone saying how great they are. Often it is injuries that influence things, but it's also intensity after a hard loss. Packers need to bounce back with a focus this week, if not, then hang them up.

Exactly. Just look at what unfolded with Minnesota Sunday. The Vikings play their best game of the season against Seattle but come up short, and then lay an egg against the previously winless Falcons. That's why these next six days will be critical for the Packers to move forward.

Mike from Lake Villa, IL

It was pointed out about the rule inconsistency of the QB giving himself up yet the refs picking up the flag for a late hit. Another inconsistency in NFL rules is where a regular penalty and a personal foul offset. When Rodgers was trying to throw the ball away before a sack and then Suh definitely hits him late, the rule allowing offsetting penalties basically gives players an incentive or free opportunity to commit a personal foul after the first penalty occurs. Why not impose both?

That was another bizarrely officiated play. The referees must have determined the ball didn't get back to the line of scrimmage – it was hard to tell on TV – because otherwise the ball was traveling in Adams' direction. You're right, though. Offsetting penalties sometimes result in an eye-for-an-eyelash tradeoff.

Terry from Rochester, MN

After the exchanges with Suh, would Rodgers ever want Suh on the team? It appeared to me there are deep feelings of not being "friendly" between them. Would Murphy ever acquire Suh (or anyone like that) because of those feelings and say, "Deal with it"? What do you think?

Why does everyone think Mark Murphy makes personnel decisions? For the 1,000th time, Brian Gutekunst is the general manager. Murphy is the one working day and night with the league to make sure the train stays on the tracks. He doesn't go home at night and say to himself, "Hey, we should sign Suh." You pose the hypothetical of all hypotheticals. It's unanswerable, but I'll say this – I saw the same Ndamukong Suh on the field Sunday afternoon I saw back in 2011. And that's disappointing.

Mark from Green Bay, WI

In the salary cap world, you can't have a great defense and great offense (unless you hit on some great late-round and free-agent picks). Which would GM Wes strive for: Great offense and so-so defense, great defense and so-so offense. or better than average on each, but neither great?

It's definitely not Option C. Every team needs to hang its hat on something. There needs to be one characteristic about your team that teams point to and say, "Yeah, Spoffordville Spidercatz do that really well – maybe better than anyone." I tend to favor offensive football but that doesn't mean you can neglect the defense, either. You gotta strike a balance.

Paul from Minneapolis, MN

As a Packer Backer across the purple border, I must give due respect to local sports writing legend, Sid Hartman. In your sports writing careers, do you have any Sid stories to share?

I never had the pleasure of meeting Sid but his reputation preceded him. I saw a statistic that he had more than 20,000 bylines for the Star-Trib. What an incredible life well-lived. My thoughts and prayers go out to his family.

Matt from Sea Girt, NJ

Not a question but more as a voice of reason. Every team has a clunker and the reset button always seems to work (in more than just tech). Self-evaluation is a good thing. BTW, the Bears the next three weeks have Rams, Saints and Titans. Their true test. So R E L A X

We're about to learn a lot about the Bears, that's for sure…and probably the Rams, too.

Hannes from Milwaukee, WI

I'd be okay with a 1-1 record at Raymond James Stadium this season.

Hey, now that's the spirit.

HAVE A QUESTION?