Inbox: That's what the best teams do

Cheesehead

Mar 19, 2019
r9nr6lelgvnv382nozah

Charles from Riverside, CA

What is the probability of turning Blake Martinez into a blocking running back?

I'll take "Signs we need free agency to begin for 500," Alex. Good morning!

Paul from Las Vegas, NV

12, 14, 16, 17? Really? There's a reason why the schedule increased by two games. I've heard no one talking about the competitive imbalance of a 17-game season. Do the owners realize half of them will have one more road game than home? Or am I missing something. Is this not an issue? Or were they willing to settle for this knowing they wouldn't get 18?

The owners know they aren't getting 18 regular-season games anytime soon. I think 17 is the compromise in their minds. I thought this topic was dead a few years ago but it picked up steam again as a means to reduce the preseason to three games. It creates an imbalance but it also creates revenue and revenue is what drives the league. By the way, I happen to be sending this from McCarran Airport in Vegas. Go figure?

Derek from Sheboygan, WI

What was the biggest takeaway for the Packers in regard to needs on defense and at receiver from the combine?

Everyone seems to have a prescription for what the Packers need but Brian Gutekunst has the only vote that matters. My takeaway from Indy was there are quite a few receivers and defensive-front prospects who will help NFL teams sooner than later. Time will tell if the Packers choose to be a part of the fray.

Tony from Chanhassen, MN

I don't think it was a fluke Mason Crosby had his best season when there was a kicking competition in training camp. Any idea what his stats have been during the first year of his other long-term contracts?

Crosby was 85.7% in 2011 after signing a five-year deal and 86.7% in 2016 after inking a four-year extension.

Steve from Neenah, WI

Do you think the Packers will get a free agent in the first couple of days?

It depends on whether they re-sign anyone. It's that simple.

Eric from Green Bay, WI

Wes, you say take any free-agent rumors with a grain of salt. When it comes to the national media, I definitely take most of those clowns with a grain of salt. However, Rob Demovsky is posting some of these rumors too like the Packers being linked with Austin Hooper. How do you recommend treating otherwise trustworthy sources in these perilous times before free agency?

It's all part of the free-agency process. Teams are assessing the league landscape and agents are propping up their clients. Still, it's just hype until the negotiating window opens. That's when we separate substance from speculation. Also, I love how you intimated Rob isn't a national reporter. I can't wait to give him a hard time about that.

Nikhil from Washington, D.C.

Wes mentioned that the middle linebackers and the defensive line are like peanut butter and jelly. I have often felt the offense and defense work together, as well. A good defense gets off the field fast and puts the offense back on the field quickly against the opponent's tiring defense. A good offense keeps its defense on the bench, resting so it can make plays and end drives quickly. How did the Packers' offense and defense help each other or hurt each other in 2019?

I think the two helped each other this past season. Without question, they were more harmonious than the previous two years. I felt like that synergy was one of the 2019 team's biggest strengths. There were games the defense picked up the offense and vice versa. That's what the best teams do and it's a big reason the future is bright right now in Green Bay.

Julian from Las Cruces, NM

It is both draft and trade season, so humor us. How did we end up with Brett Favre (franchise-changer) for so cheap? Incidentally, I became a Packer fan in the early 70s and there was no hope for the change that he created.

I don't know if I would classify a first-round pick as "cheap," but give credit to Ron Wolf for trusting his scouting eye enough to ship that high of a draft choice to Atlanta for a second-year quarterback who had two of his five pass attempts intercepted the previous year.

Randy from Highland, IL

Gentlemen, how do teams like the Packers stay in playoff contention virtually every year while others can never seem to get to that level? Are there specific things the Packers do that others don't or just do better than other teams?

Having two Hall of Fame quarterbacks helps matters but Ron Wolf, Ted Thompson and Brian Gutekunst all did great of drafting good players, believing in their talent and not overpaying for high-priced outside veterans whose best years are behind them. As I wrote yesterday, you want to reward your players first and then go outside the building when assistance is needed like last March.

John from Charlottesville, VA

Can teams work out prospects at any time or are they limited to pro days and official visits?

Teams can obviously attend as many pro days as they choose but they're otherwise limited to their 45 official pre-draft visits (unless it's a local prospect).

Chris from New Canaan, CT

Lucas Niang is a graduate of New Canaan High School, Class of 2016. He is a fine young man and a fabulous football player. Draft him. He will not disappoint and nothing would make me happier than to see him in the Green and Gold.

Well, there's one vote for Niang.