Inbox: That game hung on the edge so many times

Cheesehead

Mar 19, 2019
wt7kcncfzwhdkyoa9bj7

Luke from Chicago, IL

Hey Insiders, I just got off the phone with the Ravens organization, they said they would have been happy with an ugly win. Just win, baby!

Complaining ranks right up there with chortling on the list of don’ts.

Doug from Wausau, WI

You’ve been telling us all year that it’s a week-to-week league, so I can’t say I was totally surprised by that Ravens-Titans game. The word I keep coming back to is “fascinating.” It just didn’t seem like that style could win against a team like Baltimore.

Losing the turnover battle 3-0 and failing to stop the run is a recipe to get whipped. By anybody.

Mark from Naperville, IL

Mike, I saw that Jadeveon Clowney was not even fined for his hit on Wentz. The NFL and its safety policies are a joke. But I guess all the NFL really cares about is being in the news and talked about; just make sure you spell the name right, right?

Guys are getting fined $28K for blindside blocks that were questionable calls to begin with (Buffalo lineman), yet nothing for Clowney. Of all of the league office’s disciplinary decisions this season, that one might be the most baffling to me.

Mark from Iron Mountain, MI

What happened to the run game? Take away three long plays and its less than two yards a carry. Can we beat Frisco with an anemic rushing attack?

Probably not, but Seattle’s defensive game plan was built around stopping Jones. They were keyed on him all the way. It’s partly how Adams had a monster game. You do what it takes. New week, new plan.

Liz from Orange, CA

I've been waiting all season for this. Passes to the tight end, quicker throws on slants, and I actually saw Aaron Rodgers step into a throw to Adams over the middle. Did the self-scout allow for these?

Who knows? No one’s going to tell us. What I will say is 9-of-14 on third downs will make any offense look better. The previous best this season on third down was 8-of-13 at Kansas City.

Sal from Hailey, ID

Shout out to my fellow Hillsdale alum, Jared Veldheer, for stepping up when Bulaga got sick and holding down the front lines!

That’s exactly why the Packers picked up a guy like Veldheer. The anecdote Rodgers told after the game was priceless. Veldheer was actually in the stands at Soldier Field in Week 1 – his first week of football “retirement” – watching this team’s first victory of the season. How crazy is that?

Dan from Highland, CA

The defense did what was necessary once again. I thought Kenny Clark's play deserves a special mention. What is this team’s record when he gets a sack?

6-0 now this year. Clark’s effort dealing with a bad back was impressive. He has to be sore this morning. Hopefully he can work out that soreness quickly.

Dan from Toledo, OH

"The way I see it, were going to have to beat them once at their place..." Is Aaron Rodgers the most clairvoyant player in NFL history?

He’s certainly one of the most aware.

Darren from Kingston, Ontario

Well, somebody was right in calling Preston a key to victory. Could his second sack have come at a better time?

They can’t double both Smiths. That was my point. Whoever is one-on-one has to win. That’s the biggest crunch-time sack I can remember by the Packers since Mike Daniels and Mike Neal combined to bury Brady at Lambeau in November 2014.

Kevin from Whitehall, WI

So winning ugly continues, meanwhile in Baltimore, winning pretty is heading home for the offseason. The Packers still haven’t peaked. The first time in SF, the game turned on a questionable personal foul on Davante Adams. The next play Rodgers is strip-sacked and the rout was on. They didn’t respond to adversity in that game, but have done so since. I anticipate a different outcome this time around.

The Packers’ best response to adversity was on that Monday night in Minneapolis, after the three first-half turnovers. You don’t want to make that many mistakes next week, but that’s the level of resolve they’ll need to summon, and then some, to make it to the big one.