Inbox: That guy can do it all

Cheesehead

Mar 19, 2019
wjkqccwxyygg40cpiq9o

Jeff from Germantown, WI

Re: Rich from Vail, CO and how it takes the new center time to learn how to earn the free play. If Elgton Jenkins steps in at center, expect that to take no time at all. When Corey Linsley got hurt mid-game vs. Bears, Jenkins stepped in to play center and it was only a handful of snaps (if memory serves) before he snapped the ball when a D-lineman jumped into the neutral zone and earned a free play. I texted my buddy Brett, "That's the backup center doing that." Jenkins is amazing!

Jenkins is the next man up practically everywhere on the offensive line. With David Bakhtiari working his way back from the ACL, Jenkins could just as easily plug in at left tackle, too. Jenkins was a Pro Bowl guard last season whose play didn't diminish at either center or the tackle positions. That guy can do it all. The only question is where?

Nick from Gresham, WI

Given the outgoing words from Jamaal Williams and Linsley's wife, Tramon Williams' first-class personality, and a couple of these fair and win/win deals we have seen the players and front office work out, this week has been a great reminder of the great work the Packers do keeping good people in the organization and it sometimes goes over looked so I appreciate how you guys highlight these things. Thanks much!

The Packers lost some good dudes over the past few days but that's the business of football. It's up to Brian Gutekunst and his personnel department to find the next promising draft class here in a little more than a month from now. There are holes to fill, on the field and in the locker room.

Avid from Vienna, VA

With Aaron Jones re-signed, can you refresh us on how he ended up falling to the fifth round in the first place? From your recollection, was it an injury, poor performance at the combine, playing for a non-powerhouse conference or school, etc.? And on another note, an underrated and hopefully not under-appreciated move when Brian Gutekunst was hired was the ability to retain Russ Ball who also interviewed for the GM position. He's been a cap wizard orchestrating his magic.

If you know Jones' story, he's been proving everyone wrong his entire life. Coming out of UTEP, scouts had questions about the level of competition Jones faced and if he could be a durable, every-down back. In the end, the NFL's loss was the Packers' gain.

Reed from York, PA

Seeing the cost of Hunter Henry and Jonnu Smith, could we be overlooking the value of Big Bob, Jace Sternberger and Josiah Deguara being UDFA/third-rounders with potential to be a serious matchup nightmare when they're all healthy this year?

Tight ends are X-factors in today's NFL with the proliferation of sub-package defenses and that's why LaFleur wanted them to be such a big part of the offense he brought to Green Bay. The sky is limit for Robert Tonyan and the young tight ends. As for New England, it's been strange watching that offense operate without a dominant tight end on the field the past few years. That's been such a staple of the Patriots for so many years.

Andrew from Placentia, CA

Hi Wes, you've mentioned finding someone who can return kicks in the draft. I couldn't help but think that shifty player could also be an intriguing weapon for LaFleur to use on offense, such as Tyler Ervin and Tavon Austin. Luckily, there seem to be a lot of those players in the draft, and they won't cost you an early pick. I like Dwayne Eskridge, Tutu Atwell, Dyami Brown, Marquez Stephenson, Demetric Felton, Javian Hawkins...I particularly like the ones who can line up anywhere from RB to WR.

With how important that jet-sweep back has turned out to be in the offense, I think it would be worthwhile to find a RB/WR/KR who could wear multiple hats on offense and special teams…even if it comes on Day 3.