Inbox: That might've done it

Cheesehead

Mar 19, 2019
dkmyrzstajvclpsebs4z

Chuck from Gold Canyon, AZ

Looking at our free agents coming up next year, do you think the GM has done a good job building depth throughout the team? I know we get caught in our personal opinion of what the Pack needs (mine is OL or IDL) but looking at the fact that by this time next year there is a good probability that three or four of the following will not be on the Pack – Clark, Bakhtiari, Linsley, Jones, Williams or King – draft and develop and BAP are buzz words but having a HOF QB1 salary makes it necessary.

Which is also why Gutekunst has tried (and Thompson before him) to go into every draft with extra picks, whether acquired via trade or awarded as compensatory selections. Some draft picks aren't going to work out. Not everybody can be re-signed. The nature of both realms. I do think the Packers have decent depth, but no one's ever satisfied. The draft has to be the backbone of the team over the long haul.

Nik from Piedmont, SC

While watching the Saints-Packers replay Saturday night, the size of Pickett, Raji, and Green...holy smokes! Those three were giant run stuffers. Do you think teams will get back to those types of players in the middle of the line? Are there any current players coming out of college that look like that?

That's a bygone era as far as having multiple interior defensive linemen that size on the field together frequently, aside from short-yardage and goal-line situations. QBs checking to pass plays against that type of personnel in normal down-and-distance turned nickel into base.

Jim from Woodbury, MN

Is it a complete ghost town at Packers HQ, or are there some staff/coaches/players showing up!

Couldn't tell you. The last time I sat at my desk was March 12.

Tim from Lino Lakes, MN

With teams likely having to draft from the confines of their individual homes, I'm anticipating some glitches occurring. It's difficult when I'm on conference calls for work and people are talking over each other, but when you're on the clock, there's only so much time to communicate. I think this year more than any other, the ability to communicate takes on a whole new level of importance. We may not hear about it, but do you see a team sending in the wrong name or missing the cutoff time?

I don't know. I'm not saying there won't be an issue here or there, but for the most part, teams that do their homework know their choice as they see their pick approaching. If they don't turn it in right away, they're usually just fielding trade offers while on the clock to see if there's a deal that's too good to pass up. It sounds like the league is going to be lenient with the time limit if a trade is in the works.

Billie Jo from West Plains, MO

Hi Mike and Wes! Several times I've seen you guys refer to a 7-9 division-winning team as "an anomaly." I agree with your reasons for accepting this anomaly as a necessary evil for a balanced playoff schedule, but just how many times in the modern playoff system has a team with a losing record won their division?

Only twice, the 2010 Seahawks (7-9) and the 2014 Panthers (7-8-1). As I mentioned, it's also the 8-8 and 9-7 division champs hosting wild-card games against teams with better records that bothers people, but I just don't get that worked up about it.

Miranda from Rochester, NY

II, I have a question regarding offensive linemen. Is it really hard to transition from a guard to a tackle? To the layman, it seems as it's a little more important to move your best lineman outside to the tackle position to protect the QB. So I guess my main question is, would it be unheard of to move Elgton Jenkins to RT?

It's rare to move an interior lineman outside. A switch the other way is far more common. Athletic traits notwithstanding (footwork, arm length, etc.), working inside there's traffic and sometimes help. Outside, a lineman can be all alone. If he's not used to being "on an island," as they say, it's not an easy or simple transition.