Inbox: That should tell everyone something

Cheesehead

Mar 19, 2019
vvl7ptshbrootbsgz85e

Dan from Morehead City, NC

Let's turn this question around, what positions do you think we can skip in the upcoming draft? I could see skipping QB unless Tim Boyle isn't re-signed, but otherwise I don't see a position that couldn't use some upgrade across the board. Again, free agency could change this both ways.

I tend to agree on all counts.

Daryl from Helena, MT

No question, just a comment. For some reason facing Jared Goff twice a year does not scare me as much as Matthew Stafford did.

I concur here as well.

Linda from Lakewood Ranch, FL

Good morning Mike! Hope you can help me. I have not been able to find any info on David Bakhtiari's injury or treatment since it was first announced as a suspected torn ACL. NOTHING! For an athlete, especially one of his caliber, this is extremely unusual. Can you tell me anything? Is it due to confidentiality of medical records? Since he is such an important player, there normally would be much more info released. What gives?

It's not that unusual with a major injury that happened only two months ago. The Packers aren't keen on discussing injuries, preferring to leave it up to the player himself, and Bakhtiari hasn't divulged anything via social media, which is his prerogative. I would imagine we'll get some kind of update in the spring.

Al from Green Bay, WI

Thinking about the receiver group, Davante Adams is clearly the best off the line of scrimmage and the "go-to" guy. Marquez Valdes-Scantling is the field stretcher/game breaker. Allen Lazard is the best blocker and a reliable possession receiver. Assuming Devin Funchess is a factor in 2021, his role would be _

Get open and catch the ball.

Jake from Oswego, IL

I have a question about the "Rodgers Effect." Recently I have been discussing how good Davante Adams is with some of my friends. I argue that he is the best receiver in the NFL. My friends argue that he is only in the conversation as the best because of how good Rodgers is. I obviously cannot deny that Rodgers makes his receivers better, but it also seems wrong to diminish the accomplishments of a player because of who he plays with. I am not sure how to respond to this. Thoughts? Is it fair?

Everything goes hand-in-hand, but it's not fair to make blanket statements about all receivers relative to their QBs. In Adams' case, we saw him over eight games with Brett Hundley in 2017 post 46 catches for 543 yards and five TDs. Double that for a full season and it's 92-1,086-10 with a QB who has been a backup his whole career. That should tell everyone something.

Avida from Vienna, VA

Hi Mike, as you've noted and fans have already observed, given Kevin King's impending free agency and improvement needed in the defensive backfield, do you believe Jerry Gray is a draw for free-agent defensive backs? Would a DB who elects to sign a one-year "prove it" deal due to the reduced cap this year potentially choose GB due to having Gray as a coach? All things being equal (primarily contract amount), does Gray have a reputation that you believe would factor into a free-agent DB's decision?

Not really. Certainly not as much as the chance for playing time that player would have with a given team to "prove" what he's worth. If the dollars are equal, a player will choose opportunity first.

Dalton from DeForest, WI

What knowledge, if any, can Mike Pettine take to Chicago about the Packers' offense that might be an advantage to the Bears?

Not much more than the Bears can glean themselves from having four games of film now against Green Bay's offense.

Joe from Appleton, WI

After seeing how many potential high draft picks opted out in 2020, do you think this is a trend that might continue? An underclassman puts together a monster season, and then sits out a year to focus on watching film and weight training. Or do you think the experience of playing at the collegiate level is too valuable for players to consistently try the sitting-out strategy?

The latter.

Matt from Irvine, CA

I just realized I don't like the idea of a 17th regular-season game because it will make it easier for every player to break single-season records and also make it more difficult to compare performance between 16- and 17-game seasons. What are your thoughts on an extra regular-season game?

I'm not crazy about it, for the reasons you mention, as well as the disruption of a very even, fair and equitable scheduling formula. But if it was the only way to get the owners to reduce the length of the preseason, then I guess it's worth it.