Inbox: That was the hope when they were selected

Cheesehead

Mar 19, 2019
f88we14qig5qn2bzsada

Jordan from Virginia Beach, VA

Do you think the timing of Aaron Rodgers' potential return could have any effect on who plays center? It will obviously be someone different from last year and, as a former center, I know the exchange is something that is practiced quite a bit. Could someone Rodgers is familiar with get the nod over Myers due to comfort even if Myers checks all the boxes?

I don't think so. If Myers proves he can be the guy, he'll be the guy I believe, no matter who's quarterback.

Don from Iron Mountain, MI

From here it sure looks like Gute and his staff have put together a talented roster. What position group on both sides of the ball will have the most competition to make the final 53?

Offensive line and cornerback.

Dan from Kenosha, WI

Insiders, color me excited to see the effect the overall speed of our secondary has on the pass defense. With Darnell Savage, Jaire Alexander, and Eric Stokes we must have one of the fastest back ends of any defense.

If Kevin King, who's not a burner but no slow-poke, is your fourth-fastest DB, you're in good shape with that attribute.

Michael from Weston, Ontario

I was checking out your infographic on Packers jerseys, the 1922-1924 jersey would be a whole lotta fun. Any update on the third jersey? Or is it still on double-secret probation?

We're still waiting like the rest of you.

Joe from Swansea, IL

Ahh, the acoustic coupler. Brought me back to the old days in a press box (yeah, I'm a recovering retired sportswriter), and the antiquated equipment we used before cellphones and the internet. That coupler connected to a Tandy 2000; you could read four lines (four lines!) of your story on the tiny screen! And if somebody sneezed while you were trying to send your story through the coupler cups, you had to start over! Anyway, wondering: What's the most primitive computer you had to use?

You just described it, and one year covering the Wisconsin state wrestling tournament finals, I couldn't get the couplers to work to send my stories back on Saturday night for the Sunday morning edition. So I had to dictate them over the phone on deadline. All five of them.

TK from Grafton, WI

Bob Uecker once said that there is a natural tendency in baseball to exaggerate a player's strengths in contrast to his weaknesses; for example, a weak-hitting shortstop is then promoted as a great glove man. Do you think the same applies to football? Such as a weak pass-rushing defensive lineman is suddenly touted as a great run-stuffer?

The film doesn't lie, man.

Ryan from Noblesville, IN

I guess Wes really likes soy sauce a lot. At what age do you think his doctor will put him on cholesterol medication to combat that high-salt diet?

It's just to keep that salty personality, for when he needs to draw upon it, seasoned just right.

John from Livermore, CA

How do you prepare for the upcoming season's workload?

Try to take as much time off between now and the start of training camp as the Inbox and Packers Yearbook production schedules allow.

Gretchen from Dousman, WI

Happy Father's Day to all the II fathers out there. I re-discovered my father's softball equipment from the '50s/'60s. The gloves were pretty disintegrated, but I can't tell you all how wonderful it was to hold the bats and balls. Memories of watching Dad pitch at Johannesburg Field and taking batting practice with him at the Howe School playground came flooding back. We lost my dad really young and these memories are truly precious. Play sports with your kids. They will love you for it.

Hope all the dads out there had an enjoyable Father's Day. I sure did. I was even given a beer mug that said "It'll always be Miller Park." So there. Happy Monday.

HAVE A QUESTION?