Inbox: That would matter most

Cheesehead

Mar 19, 2019
se1gw9i5ednq2ucdl2eh

Mike from St. Louis, MO

How does a guy like Davante Adams get overlooked by major college football programs? If he simply gets better while in college, how so at a less established program like Fresno State?

Guys get overlooked by major college programs all the time. Aaron Rodgers first went to Butte Community College. J.J. Watt started at Central Michigan. That list is endless. As for Adams at Fresno State, don't forget his quarterback was a second-round pick, too.

Anthony from Sturgeon Bay, WI

Taking into account a high IQ, an even higher football IQ, as well as many years of experience, is there much of anything AR encounters that he hasn't seen during a football game?

I highly doubt it. The better question might be if there's anything, within reason, we haven't seen from him.

Dan from Rice Lake, WI

Fitting that Dez Bryant was in the house for the latest rendition of catch or no catch. I think not. But if indeed a catch, then why not also a fumble as Raven defender clearly lost control of the ball before he hit the ground.

I believe they did rule it a fumble with a clear recovery by the Ravens. But I don't know how that's called an interception. I go back to the Mike Holmgren bar theory for replay. Holmgren always used to say if 50 people in a bar don't think it's a catch, then it probably isn't. (I know there aren't 50 people in any bars right now, but humor me.) I was reminded of that on the Ravens pick.

Ken from Cypress, CA

Observations from Sunday's games: The Vikings are still in the playoff hunt. The Bears aren't that good but we will still need our A game to beat them. Happy to see Seattle get beat. Glad I'm not a Charger fan.

The Chargers, man. I can't even get my mind around the run of whatever it is they're on. I think it's a good thing the Packers are done with their season series against the Vikings.

Justin from Los Angeles, CA

Don't look now, but the Vikings are 2-1 in the division and they've already played the Packers twice. Maybe it was a little early to bury them? I sure don't want to play them again.

The Bears are 5-4 and the Vikings are 3-5, but when they meet next Monday night at Soldier Field, Packers fans might want to root for the Bears to hold serve at home.

Corey from Henderson, NV

Another thought about Sunday's games. The officiating was a bit spotty. Terrible INT call in Indy, terrible TD call in AZ, terrible illegal contact call in Dallas. They are human, but the league has to do something at some point, right?

It felt like a normal week in that regard to me. I'm not trying to be funny or snide. Just honest.

Mike from Dubuque, IA

Maybe Green Bay's rushing defense isn't all that bad after all. Maybe Kamara and Cook are just two very good running backs?

The Packers have their issues against the run. There's no denying that. But there's also no denying those guys are studs, especially Cook right now. What he's doing is ridiculous. If he doesn't get hurt in Seattle, I have no doubt Minnesota would have won that game. The Vikings should have won it anyway.

Dave from Coloma, MI

Hello Mike. You asked for observations on games we watched today. I observed that Dalvin Cook is really fun to watch when he's not playing the Packers. Can you think of another RB that has had back-to-back games like he's had the last two weeks?

Derrick Henry comes to mind first. He's had some back-to-backs like that in his young career, including in the playoffs last January.

Levi from St. Paul, MN

Mike, a few months ago I posted on II the incredible story of Alex Smith and his journey. Your last II you said you wanted questions about other games this Sunday and to put Thursday's GB game to rest. Well, I pose a question to you about Alex Smith and his incredible COMEBACK. The guy throws for over 300 yards in an NFL game after having half the tissue in his lower leg removed as the result of an infection from a broken leg. Is there any better story in the sports world than that?

It's a story of human, medical and athletic triumph, and it just keeps getting better.

Lori from Heredia, Costa Rica

Hey Spoff, looks like you had good weather for grilling out this weekend. What is the best thing you have grilled recently and what was your secret for the way it turned out?

I undercooked the teriyaki-basted hamburgers Saturday night, but I didn't even care. I painted my fence and grilled out in November. That was good enough.

Julius from Providence, RI

Josh Allen's numbers vs. Seattle: 24-for-28 for 282 yards and three touchdowns. Pretty good for a full game, and that was at halftime. Packers don't play them again while he is on his rookie contract, right?

Well, they aren't scheduled to play the Bills again until 2022, scheduled being the operative word.

David from Sheridan, WY

With the Seahawks losing and Wilson playing poorly, will Rodgers finally get some love in the MVP conversation?

No offense to Rodgers, but I couldn't care less about MVP conversations 2½ weeks before Thanksgiving.

Jake from Slayton, MN

Did anything in the Jacksonville game stand out to you as something to watch out for next weekend?

I did not watch that game, but seeing the highlight of Luton and Chark connecting for a 73-yard TD certainly catches the eye.

Bob from Port St. Lucie, FL

Bills with Josh Allen took advantage of the Seahawks secondary and their defense kept Wilson under control until some big late fourth-quarter plays. Is this the formula to beat them if we meet in the playoffs? Also, do you think the Bills can actually be a factor in the tough AFC this year?

The formula right now to beat the Seahawks is to score a bunch to make Wilson keep up, and then get a key stop or force a mistake along the way. The Bills are absolutely for real, but the AFC is the most balanced it's been at the top in a long time. Pittsburgh, Kansas City, Baltimore and Tennessee are all right there, too, with Indy, Miami, Las Vegas and Cleveland a highly competitive next tier.

Patrick from Valrico, FL

A lot went the Packers' way this week. The division as a whole got farther behind us. The conference leaders came back to us. The team got some playmakers back, fingers crossed that Jaire doesn't miss time and we get the other starters back soon. The defense found itself. Which of these things was the biggest help to the Packers' outlook for the remainder of the season?

If this team can start to turn the corner health-wise over the next couple of weeks, that would matter most.