Inbox: That’s how you do it

Cheesehead

Mar 19, 2019
xvly9w7lffbo9fjn1ynj

David from Hilliard, OH

Picking up blitzes seems to be an important, yet difficult responsibility of a rookie running back's development in the NFL. What training techniques do the Packers use to help the backs learn how to pick up such a variety of blitzes? Is it mostly film study or live on-field drills?

It’s a little of both. Ben Sirmans has drills he reps with the running backs to perfect footwork and properly absorb incoming blitzers. A lot of the work is also performed in the film room, where running backs review the playbook and dissect tendencies to improve awareness.

Keith from Normal, IL

Good morning. I'm not sure if this has been asked before but when the Pack practices against the Texans, where will it occur?

That’s a great question. I’m sure they’ll use Nitschke Field but they may also need the Hutson Center or Clarke Hinkle to accommodate 180 players.

Justin from Hoboken, NJ

Good morning Insider Inbox team! Which notable Packers players became regular starters after being claimed via waiver wires? Thanks for your answers!

Current or all-time? My colleague, John Kuhn, was one of their top ones during the Thompson/McCarthy era. At the moment, the Packers have three returning players from last year’s roster who were waiver claims: Fadol Brown, Natrell Jamerson and Kapri Bibbs.

William from Plymouth, IN

Spoff, of the 40 stadiums you have visited, which are your (three or so) favorites and why? I’m assuming Lambeau Field is No. 1 for all the obvious reasons :) Thanks!

I’m not Spoff, but my favorites are CenturyLink in Seattle and AT&T Stadium in Dallas. I love the locations, the cities and overall design of the stadiums. CenturyLink also has free Starbucks in the press box.

Charlie from Cameron, NC

As always, thanks for the efforts of you and your team. Not a question, just an observation: When I read Wes’s II, I hear Wes’s speaking voice in my head. When I read Mike’s, I hear a different voice than his speaking voice. It is neither better, nor worse. I have no explanation for this. It just is.

So what voice do you hear? Hannibal Lecter?

Lori from Brookfield, WI

Wes, Baltimore Ravens' defensive tackle Michael Pierce came to camp out of shape and was not allowed to practice. Did any of the Packers have this problem?

During my time on the beat, I don’t recall anyone being unable to practice because he reported to camp out of shape. There have been a few players over the years who weren’t in peak condition in the spring but not to the point of being told to sit out entirely.

Jason from Des Plaines, IL

Can you please address the elephant in the room? No, I mean literally, there is an elephant in the room. Have you seen the size of Danny Vitale? He is massive. Cannot wait to see how he fits into our new run game this year.

Speaking of being in good condition, Vitale is absolutely yoked right now, which is perfect for the position he plays. I had a fun conversation with Vitale in the locker room on Wednesday about his love of weightlifting. What’s more, Vitale incorporates boxing, Jiu Jitsu and Muay Thai into his offseason preparation. The LaFleur/Shanahan offense is built for fullbacks and Vitale seems like a great fit for the scheme. He also has a history with special teams coordinator Shawn Mennenga, whom Vitale played for in Cleveland.

Nate from Kewaskum, WI

I sat behind Mike Daniels, Kenny Clark and Za'Darius Smith at UFC 238 in Chicago this past weekend. Who do you think would make the best UFC fighter on the team?

You had some good seats. I was in the 200s. I don’t know how Vitale would fare against the rest of the roster, but he told me earlier this year he wants to have at least one amateur fight whenever his NFL career is over. I believe Mike Daniels does some MMA training in the offseason, too.