Inbox: That’s the challenge

Cheesehead

Mar 19, 2019
zaffxirlqqiomiqi6twj

Chris from Eau Claire, WI

Someone smart enough out there should be able to sensor the football, and they can synchronize it with the refs’ whistle and with the game clock. Then, use the replay to frame where forward contact was made and using the time in replay, the sensor tells you where to spot it at that moment.

That’s what I’m saying. Again, I wouldn’t use to overturn a two-yard ruling on a second-and-8 carry. I’d only institute it for third-and-1 scenarios with the game on the line.

Stan from Merrill, WI

Regarding technology helping with ball placement: where would the sensors be located in the ball? It would need to be an outer skin, wouldn't it?

I’m not a scientist, but I feel like it could be either on the surface of the ball or woven into the leather fabric.

Jeff from Green Bay, WI

Very sorry to hear about Kendrick Norton this week. The Packers have been blessed with quiet summer vacations for a number of years. What kind of fallout do non-football injuries cause for teams at the start of training camp and even into the regular season?

It’s incredibly sad what happened to Norton. Life happens just like injuries happen. Teams must adapt. While not to the severity of Norton’s situation, a situation like this occurred back in 2016 when the Packers had to lean on Ty Montgomery as an every-down back after James Starks was involved in a car accident.

Margeaux from Tallahassee, FL

I thought I would check in with you guys as I prepare to board a plane to GB. I am taking the Legendary Tour during my visit. Will I get special treatment if I mention that I am an II contributor? Where on the tour should I look for your nameplates on the office doors?

Haha, you think I get an office, Margeaux? I’m lucky I still have my cubicle. I hope you enjoy the tour, though. If you see the ESPN.com office down in the media area, that’s where I once lingered during my days at the Press-Gazette.

Peter from Isumi, Japan

The “How I became a Packer fan section” had me crying. It reminded me of why I am a Packers fan for 50 years

Thanks to all those contributions. Simple, heartfelt stories are all I need.

I enjoyed the question because football is where life interjects. Every fan has a story – and the sum of our stories is the only real currency in life.

Brandi from Hutchinson, KS

Greetings. Does the Packers organization have any prospects in their sights in this year’s supplemental draft? I read that the Packers sent scouts out to at least one pro day. Thanks.

The Packers perform their due diligence on the supplemental draft, but it’s been 21 years since they last drafted anyone. Draft picks are the lifeblood of NFL teams, so you really have to like a player to spend one on a supplemental pick, who many times have an off-the-field incident on their resume.

Bruce from New Canaan, CT

In their respective prime years, who do you consider the more dominant? Tiger Woods or Joey Chestnut?

That’s a tough one, but I’m going to say Tiger when you factor in his dominance in a sport ruled by parity (and occasional luck). I would have said Chestnut had he not lost to Stonie in 2015.