Inbox: The board isn’t built overnight

Cheesehead

Mar 19, 2019
a3t2hw7ipfnowghuy1ul

Chuck from Antigo, WI

Will the Packers win the NFC Central this year?

I believe they have their eye on the NFC North instead.

Jason from Lake Geneva, WI

"We don't live in that land, though. We live in Wisconsin." Yes Wes, we do. Very well said. Piggybacking off that statement, do you think the Bucks have what it takes to at least get to the Finals? Meaning, can they overcome the blatant non-calls and bad calls that inevitably will happen? Fear the Deer...

Love that slogan. The sky’s the limit for the Bucks. It’s all in front of them and there’s no reason for them to get distracted by the moment, by the refs, by the crowds, whatever. Just play their game, like they did Sunday to start it off.

Nathan from Cantonment, FL

I've been pondering this for a while now. The Packers have four picks within the first 75 picks. At what point do they look to shore up our inside linebacker position? Blake Martinez is the only solidified starter and while I'm hoping that Burks can make that jump I would rather see the Packers take a proactive approach to making sure we have more depth behind those two. I think it would be far-fetched to rely on James Crawford or Brady Sheldon if Blake or Oren go down.

There’s no question the position is on the radar, and I could see the Packers taking one anytime. That includes at 12 if the best player on the board is an inside ’backer.

Josh from Waukesha, WI

What's your take on fan reactions to dominant players/teams? Tom Brady is arguably the most dominant player in the NFL in his era, vilified by everyone outside the New England area. Everyone is sick of the Patriots winning. Same vibe in the NBA with Golden State. Tiger Woods dominates for a decade plus and fans still cheer for his success and the media can't get enough of it...every single tournament. Is this just due to the nature of the different sports or something maybe deeper?

Team vs. individual sports always produces different fan dynamics. What Tiger did this past weekend, returning to the top of his sport after such a long time away from that status, for many reasons, is remarkable. It’s great for him and great for the game.

Matt from Waukesha, WI

Do you think prospects care more about which team drafts them or which number they're taken at?

The number determines the money, and team fortunes can turn on a dime in this business. Do you think anyone drafted by the Browns the last couple years is complaining now?

Nick from Arvada, CO

Tom Brady played his first meaningful games in the 2001 season. At the time, I didn't even watch football. If I were to go back in time to that period, what would jump out at me as different from today's game (aside from Brady being much younger)?

Just take a look at the hit that year that got Tom Brady on the field in the first place. That says it all.

Gary from Oregon, WI

Forrest Gregg was highly praised by Vince Lombardi. Who is your favorite from the Lombardi teams and why?

I had the pleasure of covering Jerry Kramer’s journey to Canton, and I’ve also gotten to interview Bart Starr a couple of times, so I’m biased in picking my favorites from that era. I’ve also always been fascinated by Herb Adderley’s story, switching sides of the ball and becoming a Hall of Famer.