Inbox: The competition should be intriguing

Cheesehead

Mar 19, 2019
f8olgtjqst9xxi1ysaz7

Miguel from Monument, CO

Draft trivia: Packers drafted three players using picks acquired in player trades, where the traded player isn't even with the team that gave up the pick anymore. Jon Runyan with a pick they acquired from the Raiders for Trevor Davis, who is now with the Bears. Jonathan Garvin with a pick acquired from the Ravens for Ty Montgomery, now with the Saints. Vernon Scott was selected with an improved draft pick in a trade with the Browns for Justin McCray, now with the Falcons. Who's next?

No one needs to be. The Packers' extra picks next year should be compensatory ones.

Nicholas from Portland, OR

Running back contracts are extremely top heavy. The highest paid four guys are making $13-15 mil/yr, while the next tier is roughly $8 mil. Now if I'm Aaron Jones, I'm taking as much as I can get, given that it'll probably be the one and only major contract of his career, but while he's been fantastic, I don't consider him to be a superstar. Of course, next season could change that. However, how does a GM resolve this impending contract situation?

I don't speak for Gutekunst, but if the Packers are comfortable with a middle ground, you probably start there on an extension, with no guarantee Jones will be interested. He may prefer to play it out and accept some risk. It's never about one side "resolving" anything. It takes two to reach an agreement.

Daniel from Northridge, CA

I can't take another criticism of our receiving corps. For years the Packers went with one of the worst running back corps in the league. We even won a Super Bowl with an undrafted rookie and a bunch of others who were no-names. And to top it off, we went all those years without addressing it until 2013, and drafted receivers multiple times instead of RBs during that span. Now the same situation but with WRs, except we have a top receiver and capable others. Our offense will be fine.

For the record, Starks was a sixth-round pick, but I get where you're coming from. The best coaches maximize the personnel they have.

George from North Mankato, MN

What metrics would you use to deem a prior draft as successful? The number of starts made by draftees, percentage of draftees that make the final roster and practice squad, percentage of draftees that get a second contract, the number of All-Pro or Pro Bowl nods?

For me, it always begins with how many draft picks eventually become regular starters, because backups and special-teamers are eminently replaceable. Multiple starters plus a Pro Bowler or two takes it up a notch, and if there's a Pro Bowler at the premier, highest-paid positions (QB, OT, Edge, CB) that's yet another level due to the salary-cap bargain achieved on the first contract.

Kevin from Custer, WI

I'm excited to see what Rashan Gary can do with more snaps at OLB and believe he can easily replace Fackrell's edge-rushing and run-contain responsibilities. However, I can't help but think we do not have an adequate replacement for an OLB who can drop back into coverage, which Pettine's defense normally requires to disguise scheme. Do we have an answer on the roster or will he need to retool the scheme?

Preston Smith dropped into coverage some, but not as often as Fackrell. You're right, that may be an element of disguise lost, but then other disguises can and will be implemented.