Inbox: The difference is in the details

Cheesehead

Mar 19, 2019
ajm1jckswtjltizs8ylq

Nick from White Bear Lake, MN

Hi Mike and Wes! Do you think there is any downside to catching the defense off-guard before it gets set? I assume in such a situation, Rodgers has a very quick, predetermined route in mind. But, without the benefit of any pre-snap reads, might it backfire?

Perhaps the greater benefit is with a longer-developing route designed to get someone in space, and if the defense is slow to react initially, the advantage goes to the route runner.

Dave from Tomah, WI

Your comments on the new rush-to-the-line-and-snap-it tempo made me think how awesome that would be when after a few Rodgers does his snap-count trick. It would be the ultimate setup.

I’m sure that’ll be in the arsenal as well.

Mike from Mount Prospect, IL

Gentlemen, I tried to research this question but apparently my Google IQ falls short. Of the teams he played against, was there a team Starr "owned" in a manner similar to how Favre played against the Bears? Passing stats were different then, but there must be a team or two that he dominated.

According to Pro Football Reference, Starr’s best record as a starter against a team he played frequently was 15-9 vs. the Bears. He was also 11-7 vs. the Vikings. Solid but not dominant. Against less frequent foes, including playoff starts, he was 6-1 vs. the Cowboys, 5-0 vs. the Browns, and 5-0 vs. the Falcons.

Matt from Waunakee, WI

Hi Mike, give me WYMM from the offseason.

Film of the phone calls, negotiations and contract signatures is off-limits.

Thierry from Hayange, France

Hi guys. It was interesting to discover your game-day routine, fighting the clock to deliver while we fans are just hitting refresh to read your reports. It helps us find some balance and step back from the excitement of the game to reflect upon the wider scenario that has just happened on the field. What kind of games are the most difficult for you to write about? Do you remember a game when you had a hard time finding the right angle to report the action?

The hardest games, frankly, can be the dramatic, down-to-the-wire ones because there’s so much detail to cover, yet you want to write concisely and post it quickly. But again, it’s a challenge to relish – you’re choosing the details you believe matter most and still striving for timeliness.

Sandy from Green Bay, WI

How concerned do you think the Packers are with Mason Crosby considering the rough patch he went through last season?

I don’t think they’re overly concerned with a seasoned pro like Crosby, though to paint the full picture as several readers have done, it was more than just the Detroit game last year. He missed a game-winner vs. Minnesota and a game-tying kick vs. Arizona. Both were long ones (52 and 49, respectively) but they had a significant impact on the season. The closer miss in Seattle was important, too. They’re kicks he knows he has to make.

John from Sheffield, UK

Hi fellas. If you had to pick one, other than the first game vs. the Bears, which Packers game from last season would you choose to watch again? I liked the Rams game even though we didn’t quite get it done at the close, what’s your favorite? (Season opener still seems a long way off…)

In retrospect, all things considered, the Rams game might have been the team’s best overall, four-quarter performance last season, despite a couple of major mistakes. But I’d have no interest in watching it again, not now.