Inbox: The guy just keeps working

Cheesehead

Mar 19, 2019
merccthootu4emom1jtd

Nicolas from Monterrey, Mexico

Do you think we'll be able to see the bulk of alignments and motions of ML's offense during the preseason games? Or is that going to be reserved to training camp practices?

Good question. I’m not sure. My guess is we’ll see the basic construct of the offense. I mean you are what you are, but probably not every bell and whistle applicable to those motions and bunch formations.

Bill from Menominee, MI

I can't help but ask about the TE competition after seeing Bobby Tonyan being Bobby Tonyan Friday night. He's a sure-handed tight end that seems to quietly execute his assignments. How are the snaps between him and Jace Sternberger being distributed in camp? Are they each developing as expected in their early careers?

I’d say Sternberger is sitting in that No. 4 tight end spot and that’s OK. As I’ve said before, this year is a chance for him to learn and develop. Big Bob Fundamental is pushing for playing time with the No. 1 offense, though. I plan to write something on that in the next few days. He’s earned two big fans in Jimmy Graham and Marcedes Lewis.

James from Asheville, NC

Watching film from the 2013 season I was reminded how great James Starks was in catching the screen pass (and yards after the catch) and how often the Packers used it. They've gotten away from it in the past few years but, understanding it takes everyone doing their job, do you see a player who could best fit in and bring the screen pass back into the playbook?

It wasn’t always that way. There was a time when Starks was a liability in the screen game and pass protection, but he continued to work at it and carved out a fine career for himself. Jamaal Williams and Aaron Jones are ahead of the curve. I expect both to be a factor there this season.

Adam from Rochester, NY

As the Super Bowl proved, football, now more than ever, is about making adjustments. Even though ML is a first time head coach, do you think he will be able to make the necessary adjustments?

Sure. Kenny Powers did. Why not LaFleur?

Ben from Pensacola, FL

Aaron mentioned on “Unscripted” yesterday how music energizes players. Could that also be able to help players strengthen and divide their focus? Yes, pre-snap penalties, but couldn't other actually mentally charge them, too?

It’s all of the above. If you’ve seen the defense at all during camp, it has been swaying to the music in the pre-snap huddle before the last team period of almost every practice. It’s helped infuse a little more juice into drills.

John from Milwaukee, WI

Hi, while watching the Family Night practice on TV, I noticed on the Packers uniforms a round stitching on each side of the players’ nameplate on the back of the jersey. Any idea what this is for? If not, could you look into it?

We’ve covered this before. It’s the GPS the team uses to monitor players’ fatigue.

Michael from Montevideo, MN

I just read BG on Kevin King’s injury. He said he does not have high concern. What does that mean he is not concerned, because they have somebody to replace him in case he can't go? With King's injury history, how would you not be highly concerned?

As frustrating as soft-tissue injuries are, you have to be smart with them. If a player comes back too early, we’ve all seen what can happen (Casey Hayward, Trevor Davis, etc.). Would it benefit King to be on the practice field right now? Indubitably. But the goal remains the same – Sept. 5.

Mike from Seguin, TX

Haven't heard anything about the backup quarterbacks. Good news or bad?

All three have made their share of plays in camp and all three have had throws they want back. Now, I want to see them perform in a game. That’s the true litmus test at this point.