Inbox: The Packers have a lot of work to do

Cheesehead

Mar 19, 2019
zs99kuu3z3dbuif3nzyx

Russ from Henrico, VA

If the Packers draft/sign/develop a receiver who can truly take the top off, how much more effective do the current receivers get? Backs out the backfield, special attention to Davante Adams and a genuine deep threat would likely open up lots of space for Allen Lazard, Jake Kumerow and the tight ends. It seems that one addition could turn the current group into something genuinely vicious.

That's why I made the analogy about a baseball starting rotation a couple of weeks ago. When you add someone who changes the pecking order, it's a boost for the entire group.

Randy from Sheboygan, WI

What do you think was the play of the year as far as the Packers were concerned?

I was just thinking about this the other day, and if we define "play of the year" as the single play that had the biggest impact on how the season played out, I think I'd have to go with Kevin King's interception in the end zone in Week 2 to hold off the Vikings. If the Packers had started 1-1 and lost that first game to Minnesota, a whole lot might've been different.

Doug from Union Grove, WI

The offseason jet lag has gotten to me early this year, so forgive me. As a charter member of pre-Disqus Ask Vic/Insider Inbox, I can't help but wonder, do either of you "ever" get as tired of us as I do sometimes?

You really have to ask that?

George from North Mankato, MN

When evaluating draft picks, how much weight is put into the quality of competition that one faces? Do you think scouts rate players from power conferences higher than those from more obscure colleges?

If the film shows they were up against tougher competition, and NFL-bound players, on a regular basis, then yes. But it's about the one-on-one matchups on tape, not just the teams on the schedule.

Kerry from South Range, WI

There are 337 invited prospects to the combine. Would I be wrong to estimate that some of them go undrafted?

There are 256 draft picks, and several players not invited to the combine will get drafted, so there's often 100 or more combine invitees who don't get selected.

Justin from Los Angeles, CA

Who pays for players to attend the combine? The league, teams, agents? I'm just curious how players who come from more modest means or smaller schools afford it, and how they afford the prep it must take to be ready.

The league pays all the players' expenses to attend the combine. As for the pre-combine prep, agents will often front that money for players.

Julian from Gastonia, NC

Given Bryan Bulaga's age and the importance of keeping Rodgers healthy, do you think it's possible the Packers use the non-exclusive tag on Bulaga for one year, rather than sign him to a longer-term contract? I know the Packers usually don't tag players but it may be worth it this year to settle the right side of the line for one more year. The cap hit would be high, but only for one year.

I don't see it, because the tag value for offensive linemen is pretty much set by the top salaries at left tackle, which are higher than those at right tackle (though the gap is narrowing a bit). It's an option, but an unlikely one in my view.

Donna from Farley, WI

After watching the highlights from Aaron Jones, it really shows just how smart these athletes are. Knowing that all positions take so much skill, what position do you think is the toughest to play besides quarterback?

Cornerback. The other guy always knows where he's going, the rules are stacked against you, and every fan wants you cut as soon as you give up a first down. The combination of physical skills and mental fortitude needed to succeed at the position isn't easy to come by.

Michelle from Ringgold, GA

How many more seasons do you think Rodgers will play?

I expect him at a minimum to play out his contract, which would be four more seasons, at least.