Inbox: The Packers have left no stone unturned

Cheesehead

Mar 19, 2019
gnogbcy3rr2acpixwkcf

Nic from London, UK

Feeling nostalgic, do you think we really grasp the magnitude of how good Charles Woodson was while he was here? His '09 and '10 seasons were bananas, and I still get chills from the collarbone play in the Super Bowl! Having a top-five player on either side of the ball makes such a difference, though obviously it's not easy to get. When we had early prime Rodgers and Woodson, what a treat...

I always understood how good Woodson was but I didn't fully appreciate how incredible his play was from 2008-10 until it was over. Seasons like that don't happen very often, let alone in consecutive years. He brought out the best in Dom Capers' defense and Dom Capers' defense brought out the best in him.

Eric from Honolulu, HI

After the combine, which five players stood out to you the most?

If you can bear with me, there will be a story (with 10 players) on packers.com either later this week or early next, depending on any breaking news. We gotta make the content last, guys.

Michelle from Ringgold, GA

How many more years do you think Aaron Rodgers will play in the NFL?

With the way the rules are tailored to player/QB safety, I see no reason why Rodgers can't be the first individual to play 20 seasons for the Packers. And possibly more.

Walt from Skandia, MI

Do you know when the NFLPA is set to vote on the new agreement?

No firm date yet. The league and the PA reportedly were still engaged in talks Monday. I would guess they'd bring it to vote before the new league year but who knows?

Dan from Kanwal, Australia

Hello gents! My question pertains to the franchise tag and Bryan Bulaga. Are tackles paid as tackles or are they paid as a left tackle or a right tackle when it comes to the tag? I guess the answer to that question determines if it's viable to tag Bulaga next season.

They're actually paid as offensive linemen. It's not exclusive to their position. So contracts for left tackles usually move the meter. The exact tag number isn't out yet for O-linemen, but OverTheCap currently has it estimated as $16 million.

Jeff from Brooklyn, WI

What's your opinion if Jalen Hurts is still around at No. 30? Just imagine him learning from Rodgers and staff for four years. What kind of future he would hold?

There are two sides to this QB coin. If a quarterback with a first-round grade is still available, the Packers would have to decide whether to draft/develop him or trade that pick to a QB-needy team coveting the fifth-year option only available to first-rounders. As Spoff outlined a few weeks ago, it's a savvy move by Gutekunst to keep all his cards on the table. You never know what a team might be willing to give up to move back into the first round to grab a QB who falls.

John from La Crosse, WI

Joe Schobert is going to be a free agent. Do you think that the Packers will go after him?

A lot of questions about Schobert and Nick Kwiatkoski. What the Packers do here largely depends on the market that forms for Blake Martinez, those two other 2016 fourth-round picks and Cory Littleton. All four can help a defense. The question is at what price? More than any other position, I'm having a hard time pinpointing what kind of salary all four will command in free agency.

Steve from Middletown, KY

A lot of talk about MLB needing the most attention. How do you upgrade from a tackling machine that set the team record? Besides Martinez was very durable and even played hurt. So far, our other MLBs seemed to have been injury-prone. Will it cost more to bring in one of the top two FAs at that position not named BM? How much will a new player affect the signal-calling while learning a new defense in his first year?

That's the million-dollar question. Because you're not just replacing the player if Martinez walks. You're also replacing the key communicator on defense over the past three years.

Steve from Davenport, IA

Is there any real chance the Packers would actually pursue Austin Hooper?

When Gutekunst was hired as GM two years ago, he said the Packers were going to be in every conversation and he's been a man of his word. No stone has been left unturned. Again, Green Bay can't talk to any prospective unrestricted free agents for another two weeks. But once the negotiating window opens, opportunity is only one phone call away.

Mick from Decatur, IL

If the roster is 53 but only 46 dress for games, how are they paid? Do the ones who sit out get docked on their check? It seems to me if you make the roster, you should be available on game day.

Most players are paid the same regardless of whether they're active or inactive. The only reason a player would receive less is if it's a veteran who had per-game roster bonuses structured into his contract.

Mike from Augusta, GA

Why is Jimmy Johnson's draft value chart the "gospel" for all NFL Drafts? Everything else in the NFL changes, but this chart is still going strong after 30 years. Does Jimmy get anything from the NFL?

Because it was the first widely-recognized tool for determining the (relative) fairness of trades. Scouts have modified the system somewhat over the past 30 years but the general principle remains the same. I'm not aware of any royalties being tossed Johnson's way, though.

Thomas from Cedar Rapids, IA

One of my favorite uniforms was from 1984 when the Packers had a football-shaped oval on the hip with the player's number. It didn't last long, and even though it was during a low period in Packer history in terms of winning, I liked the look.

That was a snazzy look. One small adjustment I noticed this past year was Davante Adams and some other players having their number engrained on the hip pads. I thought that was pretty cool.

Joh from Yakima, WA

"And by the way, how about Canada churning out the NFL prospects as of late?" Do NFL scouts attend the open tryouts that the CFL teams hold?

That's a great question I'll run by Gutekunst at the owners meetings. I'm not sure which regional scouts handle the CFL. The Packers certainly did their homework on the league this past year.