Inbox: The Packers need the entire group to come up big

Cheesehead

Mar 19, 2019
owjomtpl7ufp3t8ce9k8

Israel from West Allis, WI

So, the Texans' defense ranks very low. Is this more reflective of their defense, or their opponents' offenses? Also, as great as it will be to get Jonesy going, if Houston is vulnerable to the run, would this also be a good opportunity to get AJ Dillon rolling up the middle? Both to save Aaron Jones some snaps and to establish more smash-mouth football for upcoming cold-weather games?

Twenty four hours ago, I would've said Aaron Jones has a huge part to play in this game. Not only because the Texans are allowing a league-worst 177.5 rushing yards per game but also due to his ability to handle pre-snap motions with Tyler Ervin still on the mend. However, Jones' calf flare-up complicates matters. Whoever suits up Sunday, the Packers need that entire group to come up big. Jamaal Williams is as steady as running backs go and AJ Dillon has tremendous upside. Both will be ready for whatever role awaits them.

Michael from Winchester, VA

Of the three listed as doubtful on Friday (David Bakhtiari, Darnell Savage, and Kevin King), who would the Packers miss most against Houston this week? And which of the five listed as questionable (Aaron Jones, Corey Linsley, Robert Tonyan, Montravius Adams, and Preston Smith)? I know Aaron Jones is a tempting choice, but with Williams and Dillon ready to step up, maybe he's not a slam-dunk pick. Who would you most like to see on the field for this particular matchup if you could have just one from each group?

The first answer has to be Bakhtiari. He's the best left tackle in the NFL and has only missed six games in seven-plus NFL seasons. If Bakhtiari can't go, a four-time All-Pro is not easily replaced. Linsley was a full participant Friday, so I think he should be OK assuming there are no setbacks with his back and I feel likewise about Preston's outlook. That's why the questionable player I have my eye on the most is Robert Tonyan, who returned to practice Friday. He's stepped up as the team's primary receiving tight end. Through five games, I can confidently say the offense is different when he's on the field. The Packers need him.

Chuck from Gold Canyon, AZ

When the schedule came, many looked at the gauntlet of HOF QBs, or ones that potentially will become, we face this season, especially on the road. We just lost to a team led by arguably the GOAT and now click-baiters are questioning this team. We appreciate the level-headedness you and Spoff give us fans. There will be bumps down the road but barring long-term injuries to key players, don't you like where we stand after five games? Most would have loved to be 4-1 with who we faced.

The Packers are in a good spot, especially with how many one- and two-win teams there are in the NFL right now. Green Bay is 2-1 on the road this season with a chance to make it 3-1 this Sunday. That's right where you wanna be.

Al from Green Bay, WI

We've been waiting for big games from Marquez Valdes-Scantling on offense and Preston Smith on defense. Which of these do you believe to be poised for a big game in Houston?

I see no reason both couldn't have a big day against the Texans, but Preston Smith seems due for one of those "sacks-come-in-bunches" performances.

Agr from Shakopee, MN

Just reread Wes's piece about Kenny Clark's upbringing and life, and am once again blown away by how impactful his story is. How did his story shape his NFL career up to this point?

It made Clark the man he is today. I mean, you won't find a reporter on the beat with a bad thing to say about Kenny Clark. Frankly, the story I wrote last year on Kenny and his mom, Nicole, changed my outlook on life. Kenny was 9 years old when his father went to prison. Suddenly, Kenny was the man of the house while growing up in a rough community. Nicole, to her credit, pulled double-shifts to keep a roof over her kids' heads and did everything in her power to make sure Kenny stayed on the right track. That lady is a saint.

Michelle from Ringgold, GA

Who do you think will have the better game on Sunday, Aaron Rodgers or Watson? Also, who will throw for the most yards and touchdowns?

I think Rodgers has a big day.

Gretchen from Dousman, WI

I enjoyed the photos of Thursday's practice in the Hutson Center. The black-and-white portraits are awe-inspiring. I loved the shot of Tim Boyle celebrating something awesome. We see so little of him it's nice to get a glimpse at the real guy. I was also blown away by the comparison of Davante Adams and Marcedes Lewis in one photo. Gotta love the Big Dog!

In nine seasons covering the Packers, only two guys have made me say "Whoa" the first time I saw them in-person: Julius Peppers and Marcedes Lewis.