Inbox: The possibilities seem endless

Cheesehead

Mar 19, 2019
lbkq60zinl4f2ow3v6r5

Will from Stewartville, MN

With the talk of a traveling combine and the current traveling draft, what do you think the chances are of a non-NFL city hosting something such as St. Louis, Memphis, Portland, etc.?

Maybe down the road, but I would imagine the NFL is going to give its league cities all the initial opportunities before opening the door to other locales.

Branden from Hartford, WI

With the talent and versatility we have on offense combined with the creativity of ML and NH, what personnel group are you most excited to watch this season? I can't wait to see what they come up with putting Aaron Jones, Dillon, Josiah Deguara, Amari Rodgers, and Davante Adams all on the field together.

There are plenty of intriguing combinations, and the possibilities seem endless. Mentally for me, the starting point is Adams and Marquez Valdes-Scantling on the outside, Robert Tonyan in the slot, Jones in the backfield, and A. Rodgers running jet motion. From there, mixing in Allen Lazard, Deguara, Dillon and others can build one helluva playbook.

Jeff from Milwaukee, WI

Which receivers will make the final roster?

Barring injuries, the four I see as locks are Adams, MVS, Lazard, and Rodgers. Devin Funchess would have an inside track for a fifth spot, but I wouldn't call it guaranteed. That leaves Reggie Begelton, Chris Blair, Bailey Gaither, Equanimeous St. Brown, Malik Taylor, DeAndre Thompkins and Juwann Winfree fighting for maybe one roster spot and practice-squad opportunities. That's how I see it at the moment.

Stev from Colorado Springs, CO

To set the stage of this question, Bridgewater replaced Brees and won five games, and then went to Carolina the next year and just cracked five wins for the season. Obviously, the Saints were a better overall team. So, here's the question, do you think a Jordan Love-led team, with the talent we have on offense and defense, can have strong winning record (over 10 wins)? While Bridgewater wasn't a first-time starter, do you think Love could do it? I think it's possible, but I'm just an amateur observer.

The truth is we just don't know. Possible? Sure. But not having seen Love take a snap in an NFL preseason game let alone a regular-season one gives us nothing to go on, if we're being honest.

Greg from Sydney, Australia

Hi Mike, if a team's defensive or offensive coaching staff comes up with an innovative way to counter opponents, do they share these ideas with their internal opposition coaching staff, which may counter their own innovations, or do they play them out during training to prove their own worth?

They'll experiment from time to time and then collaborate later to gather thoughts and input. That was a little more common back in the age of two-a-days, when there were more practices and more reps. But it still happens now on occasion, too.

Mike from Austin, TX

G'mornin'! Happy doldrums (or is that an oxymoron?) Do college rivalries play out in any way once the guys hit the NFL? Will Ohio State's Josh Myers push extra hard or with more vigor against Michigan's Rashan Gary in practice? Will Rashan be extra pressed to sack Justin Fields this year? I know they're all consummate pros, but aren't they also driven competitors? Also, why is Amari Rodgers not listed on the Packers' roster page?

Rodgers is listed at the bottom as an unsigned draft pick. Once again, the offset language in deals for third-round picks is producing the usual delay. As for college rivalries, I've never seen anything play out on the field. I've seen teammates from rival schools engage in some fun locker-room banter and place some side bets.