Inbox: The timeline was not a coincidence

Cheesehead

Mar 19, 2019
iz5zt0z6ddtkgmx7wmxw

Mark from Minneapolis, MN

Mike, relatively new news, but it sounds like "roughing the QB" is getting a review as a reviewable penalty? Do you think this potential review is an isolated scenario based on the importance of the QB position, or could it be a stepping stone to eventual reviews of targeting/head shots? You have been a huge advocate of reviewing roughing, in general, and am interested in your review of the potential review. Looking forward to reviewing your thoughts.

Yes, I've long been an advocate of using replay review for safety-related rules. In that vein, it seems shortsighted to me to make sure you're going to get RTP correct but not apply the same standard to, for example, the defenseless receiver. Big picture, I don't want to see endless reviews from New York, so the "sky judge" concept in each stadium continues to sound more and more appealing.

Shilo from Murrieta, CA

Mike, you know how Beckett trading card magazines used to have base prices for common players as well as minor stars? To me it feels like every time I open nfl.com I'm getting another minor star trading card, with all of the releases going on right now. Didn't Gutey say something about the best values being the mid-level veterans this year? They are getting released all over the league for sure.

This was predictable. Less predictable, as of now, are the prices at which they can be had.

Randy from Westminster, CO

As Vic used to say, instead of spending big bucks on J.J. Watt in free agency, find the next J.J. Watt in the draft. Which always made sense to me, though drafting isn't an exact science. Of what you know about players available, is there the potential for the Packers to draft the next J.J. Watt to shore up the defensive line?

Probably not at No. 29. Watt was a No. 11 overall pick. The track record over the last decade of finding high-impact defensive linemen late in the first round isn't great. Though five years ago, the Packers did get Kenny Clark at No. 26, and five years before that, the Saints got Cam Jordan at No. 24 and the Steelers got Cam Heyward at No. 31, so it has happened.

Darren from Wakefield, MI

Hey Mike, I guess I was poor in college. In rich man's Euchre is there table talk and stealing of the deal there, too?

Ha, the "poor man's" reference had nothing to with what we were wagering (which was usually nothing), but the level of simplicity vs. sophistication of Euchre vs. sheepshead, which have similar foundations. As for your question, table talk was absolutely forbidden and imminently punishable, and there's really no stealing of the deal in sheepshead. But the latter was encouraged in both Euchre and cribbage if you could get away with it.

Shannon from Ovilla, TX

Spoff, you are talking about Euchre, cribbage, and sheepshead but you look forward to Steak-n-Shake in Indianapolis? As a person who grew up in the hometown of Culver's, and playing all three games, I am disappointed in this response. Surely/Shirley you have to miss something more.

Oh, don't misunderstand. There's a Culver's just a mile from my house.

Brian from Chesapeake, VA

Just how many baskets of chips did you and Wes go through? Sounds epic.

We'll leave that as part of the legend. Happy Friday.

HAVE A QUESTION?