Inbox: The track record suggests otherwise

Cheesehead

Mar 19, 2019
rqz6cfirjclhxzuf5n5c

Dan from Tampa, FL

I know left tackle is more important than right tackle because of the blind side but I'm starting to wonder. Edge rushers are pretty much interchangeable and the better ones can go against either side. Also, it seems since most QBs are right-handed they are more vulnerable to having passes tipped from the edge rusher on that side. Finally, I would say 55-60% of the Packers' rollouts and sweeps go to the right side meaning that tackle is most important on those plays. Your comments/thoughts.

The difference in value or importance may not be as great as once thought, but it's unquestionably still there. Ask any play-caller what it means to be confident in leaving a left tackle one-on-one, or any quarterback what it means to know he can trust any protection call that doesn't provide blind-side help to his left tackle. It keeps a lot more avenues open for an offense.

Dale from Lima, NY

Aaron from Scottsdale, AZ, provided some interesting stats concerning average salaries and the average length of NFL careers. I think the point would be valid, except it assumes that players can't find any employment for the rest of their lives and must therefore live off of what they earned in their few years in the NFL. That's ridiculous. Retiring from football in your mid-to-late 20s is one thing. Thinking that that entitles you to retire from working for the next 40 years is...offensive.

I don't disagree, but I still don't begrudge a player trying to maximize his earning power in the short NFL window. Unless he's the next Tony Romo heading to the broadcast booth, he's probably never going to have that type of financial opportunity again, whatever gainful employment may await.

Luke from Kenosha, WI

Good morning II. My friend and I have an argument going and neither wants to admit the other is right. Can you help, please? A team plays eight home games and eight road games. I believe the players pay income taxes in the state they are playing in, meaning the Packers pay eight in Wisconsin and eight elsewhere. Am I right or am I wrong? Thank you.

Depending on the tax laws in a given state, NFL players pay taxes on earnings in the states in which they play their games. So yes, the Packers pay income taxes in Wisconsin on (roughly) half their salary, and a portion of taxes in other states as well.

Steve from Marinette, WI

Spoff, not a question, but a short Packer story. My son turns 33 today and I took him to his first Packer game when he was 8. It was a great September win vs. the SD Chargers. As we were walking to the car after the game he looks up at me and says, "Thanks Dad, this is the best day of my life," and his best day instantly became mine! That is what the Packers mean to their fans!

1996 against the Chargers at Lambeau Field, huh? My future wife and I were in the stands together for the first time, and I would cover my first Packers game 3½ months later in the playoffs. Memories make us rich.

Randy from Ooltewah, TN

Good morning, Mike. Welcome back. Currently the Bears have 777 regular season NFL wins and Green Bay is eight behind at 769. Which team do you think will be the first to win 800? Would it be cool to have both teams sitting at 799 wins and playing each other the next week during the 2023 season? FYI, the Packers' 36 playoff wins versus Chicago's 17 gives Green Bay more total NFL victories than any other franchise. GPG.

The thought of a showdown for 800 is intriguing for sure, as are the odds of it actually coming to pass.

John from Grand Rapids, MI

Would you pick up the blind, if you only had the black queens?

Better to be bumped once than forever labeled a mauer.

Sam from Melbourne, IA

Is it September yet?

Happy March, and happy Monday.

HAVE A QUESTION?