Inbox: Their eyes are everywhere

Cheesehead

Mar 19, 2019
lufevdwvpxm8bshm2kxh

Don from Aurora, Ontario

Why do fans always think they know more about plays and players than the scouts, GMs and coaches?

What fun would this be otherwise?

Patrick from Oronoco, MN

How often does Gute attend OTAs and training camp practices compared to his other GM duties? When he is away from practice, is there tape available for him to review to assist with cut-downs?

The GM and others on the personnel staff attend practice often this time of year, and in training camp as well. They also review practice film regularly as part of the evaluation process. Their eyes are everywhere.

Paul from Bay View, WI

Hey guys, not trying to create any type of chaos here but have you noticed any difference with the players in how they have responded to Matt LaFleur's instructions/coaching flair vs. Mike McCarthy's approach in the past years? Just wondering if the players seem more or less receptive or if they are just feeling things out for now?

This is a full-fledged teaching phase right now. The players are attentive and the coaches are patient. When we get to training camp, the performance expectations on a daily basis, individually and as a group, get ratcheted up. We’ll find out more about the dynamic you’re referring to then.

Margeaux from Tallahassee, FL

I don't imagine that David Bakhtiari is invited to many craft beer tasting events.

No doubt. Too many calories.

Jack from Moweaqua, IL

Watching David trounce Rodgers last night in the beer chugging competition was awesome! It made me wonder how close their relationship is? There's a level of trust in this game that almost supersedes any other sport, and one thing my father always taught me is that football teaches trust and reliability. Also, do you think that Bakhtiari, if he continues his pace, is a possible HOF candidate at the end of his career? He's only missed something like six starts in six seasons.

He’s got three All-Pro honors (two second-team, one first-team) in his first six seasons. Double that and you’re talking about a legitimate Hall of Fame resume.

Dan from Twin Lakes, WI

Mike, thank you for regularly summarizing what the coaches and coordinators have to say. It's highly beneficial to myself and to others like me. I'm a "visual learner." You can tell me something a dozen times and I may or may not get it; but let me read it, just once, and it's locked in solid. I know video content is all the rage but there is still, and will always be, a need for the written word. Especially when it's written well. So keep up the good work. Please.

I’m a reader, too. Always have been. One reason video is all the rage is because it guarantees measurable ad views, but I’ll always hope we can strike an effective and suitable balance on our website. Thanks for the kind words.

Andy from Mesa, AZ

Based on how Burks played last year and the lack of additions, do you see any hope for MLB should Martinez become injured for an extended period of time? It seems like a disaster waiting to happen.

That’s a tad overdramatic, but I agree the Packers’ depth at inside linebacker is less than robust. If Martinez were to go down, a lot more would fall on Burks, Crawford, and Pettine’s creativity.