Inbox: There's a new game to win on Sunday

Cheesehead

Mar 19, 2019
dfwmz4l8zyksozsswflj

Al from Green Bay, WI

So…we've learned this week that how effectively the team practices matters on game day (Practice? You're talking practice?). What can you tell us about how the practice sessions are going this week?

Very little. We're only in there for three periods. It's not like training camp where we watch all two hours and can get a fairly good idea of how it went.

Tyler from Stevens Point, WI

I'm having a hard time framing this question, so I'll preface it by saying, Randall Cobb is one of my all-time favorites. Can compare him to Donald Driver a lot. I got pumped up when he got pumped up! I was also sad, but not definitely against his departure, with my mild understanding of NFL contracts, and difficult decisions related. If I ask would we be a better team with him today? That is an easy yes. What about in our healthy receiving core, is he a clear No. 2 and 3, or rotating with Marquez Valdes-Scantling and Equanimeous St. Brown?

The thing to keep in mind is it's not like the Packers cut Cobb or anything. His contract expired and Green Bay had to consider the future. A player like Cobb would help a lot of teams. He's a special guy who created a lot of special memories in Green Bay. It's great to see the success he's having in this second chapter of his career in Texas.

Alex from Duluth, MN

Snow is flying in Duluth. Winter is here, early ice fishing is just around the corner, and I can't wait to get some slabs on the ice! Who is the best cold-weather Packers running back you've covered? How about the best you've ever seen?

Ryan Grant was probably the best cold-weather running back I covered, though it was at the very end of his time in Green Bay. Ahman Green is the best Packers running back in my lifetime but I'd say Edgar Bennett is the one who made the biggest leap in his game in adverse conditions.

Tim from Green Bay, WI

Have there ever been actual brothers that played for the Packers?

It's happened before. The most recent example I can think of is Orrin and Jeremy Thompson. Within the last six years, identical twins Justin and Jordan McCray played for the Packers but not at the same time.

Tyler from Bessemer, PA

So after this completely embarrassing loss I am truly shocked that I have not seen this mentioned at all. Am I the only one who thinks missing Kevin King in this game was a huge factor in the secondary? I really believe being without his size and physicality did the Packers no favors Sunday. I can't be the only one, right? How is his injury looking this week? I would love for the defense to bounce back and shut down Watson and Co. I fully expect the offense to be more than ready, but will the defense?

Of course, it did. Josh Jackson hadn't started an NFL game in nearly two years. A 6-foot-3, a press cornerback like King isn't easily replaced. King was on the field again Wednesday, so that's obviously a good sign he's making progress after returning to practice for the first time last Friday.

Lynn from Jefferson City, MO

Any trade rumors the Packers might be looking to fill in some thin positions? Thank you!

No. Only thing I've heard is they need an upgrade at digital reporter.

Matt from Delavan, WI

Are there any coaches on the current LaFleur staff who are in line for a future head coach position in the near future, with another team?

The Packers have several coaches who have that kind of potential but I'll throw a plug in for Nathaniel Hackett, specifically. He has a coaching pedigree and fashioned a pretty good resume with the work he did in Jacksonville and now assisting LaFleur with his scheme here in Green Bay. Hackett is cool, calm and comfortable in front of the room, too, whether it's addressing players or media.

Rich from De Pere, WI

Last year we were one of the best in the league at pressuring the quarterback, including hits and sacks. This year, without any change in personnel, we are one of worst through five games. Did our guys regress? Have we changed the defense (sure saw a lot of Preston Smith and even Montravius Adams covering receivers instead of pressuring the quarterback)? Thanks.

There actually was some change in personnel, Rich – Blake Martinez, Kyler Fackrell (the zone-dropping OLB) and Tramon Williams among them. This defense has the playmakers to be successful but is still trying to find itself, especially with the injuries Green Bay has weathered. The Packers gotta play better but you can't treat one season as a crystal ball for what is to come. Trust me, I was there for the 2010 and 2011 campaigns. Every year is different.