Inbox: There's never just one reason

Cheesehead

Mar 19, 2019
tkgkacwbgpyrpnvcanbq

Justin from Los Angeles, CA

All these questions about when to give up on a guy, I'm curious: Who's the latest bloomer you've seen in your time on the beat, and how long did it take him to find his groove? And what do you think took him so long?

A couple of guys that come to mind are Kyler Fackrell and Tramon Williams. Fackrell didn't really start making an impact until Year 3. Williams went from a late-season practice-squad addition as a rookie, to making the 53 his second year and playing mostly special teams along with some nickel and dime corner, to full-fledged nickel in his third year, to top-two corner in Year 5. There's never just one reason. Sometimes it's a guy's learning curve and development, other times it's opportunity and players in front of him. If a guy can play, he'll eventually find his way onto the field. I've always believed that.

Fred from Shorewood, WI

Not a question, just an observation. The game was there for the 49ers to claim it if Garoppolo had had put the pass on a dime, as all NFL quarterbacks are expected to do. Late in the fourth quarter with SF trailing by 24-20 Emanuel Sanders was open two steps beyond the defenders and Garoppolo missed him. I believe the situation was third-and-10 and it was a brilliant call by Shanahan, but his quarterback couldn't execute it. I tend to think Rodgers would have delivered the pass on the dime.

Two steps is a little generous. I'd say one. And yes, the play was there to be made. QBs make and miss their share, and Rodgers is no exception. If Garoppolo hits it, Mahomes still has about 90 seconds to bring it back the other way, so you never know.

Adam from Chippewa Falls, WI

Who is the third-best head coach in Packers' history: Holmgren or McCarthy?

No disrespect to McCarthy, whose place in team lore is secure, but I'd give the nod to Holmgren. Two Super Bowl appearances in seven years, taking over a team that had won very little for a quarter century, puts him solidly third.

Charlie from Racine, WI

I think Paul from Hennepin, MN, was asking about the shareholders' meeting, usually held right before training camp in July. Any date yet?

Oh, sorry. But no, nothing has been announced yet. The date usually is finalized just after the draft.

Dave from Germantown, TN

When reporters say the Packers have about $30 million in cap space, do they subtract the salaries of the free-agents-to-be from the Packers' total salaries and then compare the balance to the cap? Or is the estimate of cap space simply the difference between the Packers' 2019 total salaries and the cap?

They're looking at the contracts currently have on the books for 2020, plus any dead-money figures carrying over from prior transactions, compared to the anticipated cap. If they're factoring in a player being released to free up cap space, that's their projection. A portion of cap space (usually around $7-8 million) has to be set aside to sign the draft class, too.

Chrissie from Yuma, AZ

What do you do during the offseason?

Well, we still write this column six days a week. We cover the combine, Prospect Primers, the start of offseason workouts, the draft, rookie minicamp, OTAs and mandatory minicamp. My biggest personal offseason project is managing and editing the entire Packers Yearbook, which starts in early spring and then publishes just before training camp. The pace is much slower from February through July but there's still plenty to do, and we get all but a couple of weekends off.

Tim from Lino Lakes, MN

It's been said the WR position is deep this year. Is that due to the large number (55) invited to the combine or are there really that many top-flight receivers?

We'll find out for sure when the draft actually takes place, because that's when we really find out what teams think of players. But the early reports indicate there are a lot of potential high picks at receiver as well as quality prospects through the middle rounds.

Jeremiah from Denver, CO

Hey Mike, good to hear you're restoring your football muscle after what must be a grind fans cannot appreciate. I'm curious if you have any thoughts about Tom Izzo and what he consistently does for MSU. It seems he never has quite as much talent as other big-time programs, but is almost always in the mix in the tournament. In your years on the beat, have you ever thought there's something universal about good coaches, regardless of the sport in which they ply their craft?

Don't shortchange the talent Izzo brings to East Lansing. They have plenty, and I think what he does often is what all good coaches strive to do – get their team to peak at the right time. The coaches who can push their team to another level when it matters most are the ones with the longest, most decorated careers.

Andy from Danvers, IL

With Wisconsin hosting Notre Dame at Lambeau on Oct. 3, is there any way the NFL would give the Packers a home game on Oct. 4? That would make for an incredible weekend in Green Bay, but it would probably put a huge strain on the stadium crew to get Lambeau turned around so quickly. What are your thoughts on the possibility of two games on that weekend?

That is not my expectation. I believe the Packers will be putting in a scheduling request to be on the road that weekend for the sake of the field.